411 5th Avenue
HIAS seeks an Immigration Legal intern to assist HIAS’ direct legal services programs which benefit asylum seekers. The intern will conduct research, writing and draft filings for the Immigration court and Citizenship and Immigration Services. S/he will be supervised by the Staff Attorneys. This position is unpaid but may be pursued for academic credit. A semester or quarter commitment is required. In order to be considered, please submit your resume, a cover letter and writing sample along with your application.
- Conducts thorough legal and factual research on topics assigned by Staff Attorneys.
- Writes memorandums, briefs and other documents I support of HIAS’ immigration legal cases.
- Develops client declarations and application forms through interviews.
- Drafts responses to legal inquiries from HIAS stakeholders.
- Assists the legal team in preparation and presentation of asylum claims (affirmative and defensive); special immigrant juvenile cases; U-visa and T-Visa cases.
- Maintains records and contributes to program reports in compliance with any applicable grants or other agreements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Current law student or recent graduate.
- Strong interest in refugee law and/or processing, human rights and international law.
- Fluency in Spanish, Russian, and/or French, highly desired.
- Must be resourceful, thorough and analytical in order to develop information and obtain materials relevant to the research requested.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills required.
How To Apply
Please submit your application, resume and cover letter directly through our website.