District of Columbia
First Book’s Mission:
· First Book is an international nonprofit organization that provides children from low-income families the
opportunity to read and own their first new books.
· First Book plays a role in transforming the quality of preschool and after-school programs nationwide.
· First Book focuses the power of the private sector on public change.
About the Internship:
First Book has an exciting opportunity for entrepreneurial individuals who share a passion for our mission, have a wide array of personal qualities and talents, and possess superior written and verbal communication skills. A good match for this position will be someone with a nonprofit heart and a corporate mindset; someone who is collaborative and independent, thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, and has a sense of humor.
First Book offers interns the opportunity to work flexibly within its teams:
· Development: Assist in achieving the revenue goals of the organization and should possess superior writing, research and interpersonal skills. Provide support for the full range of fundraising activities, including prospect research, individual giving, and special events.
· Information Technology: We are undergoing a Technology Transformation to improve the applications we use and general infrastructure to support the organization. Join us to take part in projects related to Infrastructure as well as applications to support eCommerce, Business Intelligence and CRM.
· National Engagement: Assist in the development and execution of direct marketing campaigns designed to recruit and engage new non-profit partners and recipient groups.
· Strategic Alliances: Implement cause-based marketing campaigns for some of First Book’s corporate partners. Examples include Cheerios, Build-A-Bear Workshop, and Baskin-Robbins. Develop new business leads for corporate partnerships and cause-marketing campaigns for First Book, a leader in both philanthropy and public-private sector partnerships, focused on children’s literacy.
· Concierge Services: Research book data (e.g., ISBN, format, pricing, relevant topics, etc.) for new and prospective books for special order customers. Support special orders by performing stock checks, drafting purchase orders for publishers, and updating tracking information for the order.
· Content Management: Research product data (e.g., product images, format, pricing, taxonomy/categories, etc.) for book and nonbook items on the First Book Marketplace. Attend meetings directly related to the Ecommerce department and interdepartmental meetings to understand the organizational flow of business decisions and projects.
· Collection Development & Merchandising: Read books under consideration for purchase, write detailed and thoughtful opinions, and discuss them in Read & Report meetings. Attend meetings related to merchandising, marketing, and social media.
· Publisher/Author/Illustrator Relations: Support development of a new system of customer relationship management as relates to the author, illustrator, and publisher community. Create and update database of current and prospective publishers and authors/illustrators active with First Book.
· Marketplace Operations: Assist First Book Marketplace operations including tasks related to inventory reconciliation, order processing, Salesforce case processing for member inquiries, and publisher invoice processing and approval.
· Marketing and Communications: Update and maintain social media presence including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Pinterest and others as applicable. Designing flyers, graphics, editing movies and other marketing material.
**In addition to an hourly wage, First Book will pay commuting costs throughout the internship**
In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter that details which department you are interested in working within.
To Apply: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to http://firstbook.force.com/careers . No phone calls please.