Hours per week
3 days per week for 2/3 months
87 Vauxhall Walk
REDRESS, the award-winning anti-torture charity, is seeking a motivated MEDIA INTERN to join our friendly and hardworking team. REDRESS is a small but widely respected human rights charity that works internationally to combat torture by seeking justice and reparation for torture survivors. This position would suit someone who is a current student or recent graduate looking to expand their CV with an interest in developing a career in the Third Sector or human rights field. The placement would be based in our London office (87 Vauxhall Walk, SE11 5HJ).
Tasks will include:
· Maintaining the organisation’s presence on social media sites.
· Keeping the website up to date.
· Writing content for the website and social media sites.
· Helping prepare communications materials.
· Conducting research relating to torture and broader human rights issues.
· Tracking media coverage.
· Maintaining and updating our database of media contacts.
· Assisting in developing audio-visual materials that promote REDRESS.
· Assisting with other duties that may be reasonably expected.
Qualifications and experience:
· Current Journalism student or recent graduate with an interest on human rights issues and/or international affairs; candidates with other academic backgrounds might be considered if they have some experience in any of the tasks listed above.
· Good writing skills: ability to interpret technical material for a wide range of audiences.
· Strong IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel.
· Strong interest and knowledge of UK press.
· A good knowledge of social media.
· Must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong organisational skills.
· A genuine interest in human rights and the principles of REDRESS’ work.
· Additional language skills (particularly Spanish, Arabic or French)
· Graphic design skills
Time commitment: The ideal candidate will be able to commit at least 3 days per week (Monday to Friday) for a period of two-three months. The successful candidate will work with our Head of Communications.
Starting Date: 19th March 2018
Application deadline: 12th March 2018. Interviews to take place during the week of the 12th of March 2018.
How to apply: Please email your CV and any examples of your journalistic work to Eva Sanchis, REDRESS’ Head of Communications. In your email, please explain in 3 paragraphs maximum why you are interested in interning with REDRESS and write ‘Media Internship Application’ in the subject of your email. Thank you for applying.