Public Health Internship in Cape Town, South Africa
- Internship posted by Picture the World, Social Justice Organisation
Hours per week
40 hours per week
Gain Professional Experience in South Africa!
11 June – 05 July 2018, option to extend
Are you looking for your passion or know what you want, but are not sure how to pursue it in the professional world? Do you want to build skills and knowledge via hands-on experience and mentorship customized to meet your needs and goals? Do you want to explore the world and learn first-hand knowledge of developing and implementing programs, performing research, and building capacity?
Open the doors to your future by participating in this truly unique internship, offering professional, hands-on experiences that most internships cannot offer. Impilo Phambili was developed to both serve vulnerable populations and provide unique, experiential learning for interns. We focus on guiding and teaching valuable professional and technical skills to each intern while also assisting them through their daily work and field research. Additionally, Impilo Phambili leadership works with interns in development and implementation of interventions for our local partners and the community members they serve. We give you the room and skills needed to grow and flourish, while teaching and mentoring you along the way. Come assist and work side-by-side with prominent organisations striving to integrate refugees and address needs of vulnerable South African populations.
Public Health interns will work on one or more of the following projects:
- Research projects with a clinic system operated by a prominent medical/public health university in Cape Town, South Africa
- Make home visits with community health workers to assess recently-discharged patients from the hospital
- Develop a public health project involving interventions to improve health and quality of life of vulnerable South African populations
- Conduct interviews with health workers and community members to ascertain needs
- Interview community health workers for areas of improvement and needs
- Create resources and interventions based on research for community members and organizations to utilize with the populations served
- Additional projects as they develop to meet local needs and intern goals
Public health interns will work closely with Impilo Phambili leadership and local partners to develop and execute work. While receiving mentorship and guidance, interns are encouraged to drive the projects in an autonomous fashion to integrate their own passions and skills. The intern will gain experience in creating new projects for NGOs, developing monitoring and evaluation strategies, and form teams to work together on the various projects. Along with the program director and NGO leadership, you will be involved in building capacity, improving operations, and strategizing innovation.
Applicable fields of study/interest:
- Public Health
- Health Promotion
- Physical Therapy
- Human Development
- Community Development
- Any other related field
The cost to participate in the program is $2500.00 USD and includes:
- Housing for the duration of the internship
- Transportation to and from the airport upon arrival to and departure from Cape Town, South Africa
- Local cell phone & SIM card to use throughout programme
- On the ground support, orientations, and overall guidance and opportunities to meet and interact with South Africans and other interns alike
- Ground transportation to the internship sites and return (does not include airfare)
- Access to local organisations and community
- Direct guidance from the programme director, who will provide overall and technical training and education
- Language Classes
- Education on South African history and current climate
- Opportunities to work with previously-collected data from the local community, to learn, and to educate
- Gaining experience in leadership, project development, communications, strategy, and hands-on work
- Tours, discounted activities, and much more!
You will gain professional skills in many of the following areas:
- public speaking
- data analysis
- human development
- organizational capacity-building
- training & materials
- problem solving
- critical thinking
- global & philanthropic perspectives
- fine detail and large-picture decision-making
- project development & implementation
- integrated and collaborative methodologies
This experience was fashioned specifically for the enhancement of the participants. The interns are the focus of the program, not just integrated into the work we already are performing, and are given much attention for the development and enhancement of their academic and professional skills. The experience of the internship we offer is semi-customized to meet the objectives of each participant individually. We provide appropriate experiences based on education and experience level. The program was created specifically for developing the participants and we aim to meet each participant where they are at the time they begin the program. From there, we work to enhance their professional and technical skills, provide them with hands-on and pertinent work that enables them to learn and grow. Additionally, we aim to develop each intern in a manner that is nurturing, comfortable, and didactic. As a result, upon completion of the experience, participants have an advantage over competition as far as advanced educational programs and job opportunities, having learned both typical and unique skills that can be an asset and major advantage. Interns are given freedom to make decisions and drive projects, while being mentored by our organizational leadership. As a result, the interns will attain an experience that will assist in opening the doors to their future goals and have unique skill sets that are not learned in an academic setting and are slowly learned in a job setting that is not catered to intern talents and objectives. This experience is individualized for each intern, so they are ahead of competition for future aspirations.
In general, we work with partnering organisations that are local NGOs, companies, or government entities working with the underserved community members. We fill needs and gaps by performing research and offering services and interventions, such as workshops, manuals, videos, trainings to both the community members and NGO staff. The scope of the work varies and can range from conducting interviews and compiling data that is then used to develop a workshop addressing topics of concern, such as chronic diseases. Or, an intern could help an NGO develop infrastructure and capacity. Additionally, the work can include assisting a community member with starting a business via a number of means, such as market research, marketing, mentoring, preparing spreadsheets and budgets, etc.
How To Apply
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for a limited number of spots. If interested, please email your CV and a cover letter stating the reasons for your interest in the program and the knowledge, experience, and studies that enable you to add value to our program and the communities in Cape Town, South Africa, to the program director: email@example.com.
If you are interested in our combined Italy - South Africa internship program, please contact the program director: firstname.lastname@example.org