Hours per week
Position Description: Development Intern
Do you have a passion for global education and international exchange? Do you believe in grassroots programs that leverage volunteer energies for a social good? Are you looking to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a small team of people who share these passions?
Reach the World (RTW) is seeking motivated applicants for a Development Intern position. This part-time position (three days/week; or 24 hours/week) reports to RTW's Development Manager. This position will begin in the fall and has a minimum total time requirement of 12 weeks. The intern will receive a desk at RTW’s office in New York City’s Financial District. Upon completion of the internship, the successful candidate will receive a $1,000 stipend.
- Donor Management and Administration: Provide administrative support to all aspects of the development department; support the Development Manager's outreach to sponsors in person, through email and over the phone, including calendar management and scheduling; support the production and development of printed and online external documents; and manage databases of donations and volunteers, including regular data entry.
- Events Management: Assist in the production of a fall fundraiser and regular meetings.
- Development Research: Conduct research into public and private funders to support the development of RTW’s funding pipeline.
- Materials Development: Support all aspects of the grant application process, including outcomes measurement and statistical analysis.
- Networking: Attend relevant meetings, workshops, events and other networking opportunities to assist with the development of new partnership leads.
- Organized self-starter
- Ability to communicate with diverse stakeholders
- Thorough researcher
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Passion for supporting underserved communities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Proficiency in design software is a bonus (i.e. Canva, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Prior experience using Donor Perfect, an online donor management tool, is a plus
About Reach the World
Reach the World makes the benefits of travel accessible to classrooms, inspiring students to become curious, confident and compassionate global citizens. Enabled by our digital platform, classrooms and volunteer travelers explore the world together.
Reach the World’s programs transform the energy of volunteer travelers into a resource for K-12 classrooms nationwide. Participating RTW educators select a traveler abroad to correspond with online for a program cycle. Educators select travelers whose majors, backgrounds and personal interests are a close fit for their curriculums and their students. Then, students go on virtual journeys with their travelers – expanding their worldviews, skills and aspirations in the process.
Through the connection with these travelers – real mentors that students come to know – deep seeds are planted. An "I can do this, too" spirit is born. RTW students come to know that college is a given; that there is funding to help them attend; and that study abroad is a worthy, exciting and achievable goal that can propel them forward for the rest of their lives. 92 percent of the schools that RTW serves are in low-income communities, in which students often lack access to positive, personal global networks and experiences.
Have you traveled? Has anyone shared their travel stories with you? Has this affected your worldview? If you can answer “Yes” to any of these questions, then you understand the mission of Reach the World. RTW offers educators the chance to look beyond the textbook, view their curriculum through a global lens and engage their students in global affairs via virtual exchange.
Core Values of Reach the World
Apply to join our team ONLY if you feel a sense of excitement and energy after reading about our core values, below:
- We are entrepreneurs. We do not wait to be told what to do. We are constantly matching possibilities to strategies, in support of our aggressive growth goals.
- We seek to maximize impact and minimize bottlenecks, making every charitable dollar go the farthest in service to our cause. We are successful when the pieces of our program naturally and organically work together to elevate the whole.
- We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission. Our work is not a job; it is a passion. We love what we do, and we support each other.
- We are relaters. We understand that our programs are about taking a journey together, always applying the human element of relationships to make our technology-driven programs shine. This orientation is as important for our beneficiaries as it is for our funders and partners. Our success is based upon our broad definition of our team.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Intern.” Thank you for your interest in joining Reach the World on its exciting journey!
The intern will receive a desk at RTW’s office in New York City’s Financial District, and a WeWork membership for the duration of the position. Upon completion of the internship, the successful candidate will receive a $1,000 stipend.