Hours per week
Full time (40h/week)
Do you have a concern for people and the environment? Do you have a background in material science or engineering with an interest in design? Are you both creative and results-oriented? Do you enjoy research and want to make an impact in the world? Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
Burn Design Lab, headquartered on Vashon Island, WA, is offering a mid-level unpaid internship to a clear-thinking, creative, undergraduate material scientist or materials engineer who is ready to make lasting contributions to the development of cutting edge biomass burning cookstoves. We are looking for someone who enjoys working with others to develop creative solutions to challenging problems. Burn Design Lab will provide housing and food stipends for the successful candidate.
Burn Design Lab is a U.S.-based internationally focused nonprofit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives and the environment in the developing world through the research, design, and development of outstanding cookstoves and fuels.
The successful candidate will be engaged in some or all of the following:
- Researching alternative materials for cookstove applications
- Testing materials and developing testing methods
- Working with others to develop conceptual designs
- Using CAD (SolidWorks) to develop detailed designs of clean-burning biomass cookstoves
- Building prototypes from sheet metal (forming, spot-welding, and general metal fabrication), ceramics, refractory, and other materials
- Evolving stove design based on test results and feedback from potential users
Applicants should have the following experience and aptitudes:
- Pursuing (or have completed) a degree in material science or materials engineering
- Competency in SolidWorks and/or other CAD tools
- Hands-on maintenance, fabrication, and/or construction experience
- Eagerness to learn both hands-on and academically
- Ability to effectively get project work done
- Ability to thrive both independently and in a team environment
- Willingness to do what is needed for the success of the organization and its mission
- Strong work ethic
START DATE AND DURATION
This position is 6+ months in duration, beginning in January 2019.
- Housing and food stipends
- State-of-the art cookstove testing lab
- Located on beautiful Vashon Island, a short ferry ride into Seattle
- Small, close-knit work environment
How To Apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com in the following filename format: <[First Name, Last Name], Design Internship [CV/Cover Letter], [Date]>.