WILL Empower (Women Innovating Labor Leadership) Apprenticeship
- Internship posted by WILL Empower (Women Innovating Labor Leadership)
$15 / hour
Hours per week
35-40 hours per week
District of Columbia
WILL Empower invites applications to its selective Apprenticeship Program, a new part of our women's labor leadership program designed to identify and recruit activists who are interested in trying out a job in the economic justice movement. The paid apprentices work for three to twelve months with unions and worker organizations across the nation.
The WILL Empower apprentices may work in a variety of capacities, including organizing, research, communications, politics, mobilization, and policy. Apprentices will be part of a formal mentorship program, with mentors both within and outside of the host organization, and will receive an initial WILL Empower training.
The first group of apprentices will begin work in the fall of 2018. It is a three to twelve month program. The program is a full-time job training experience.
Following successful completion of the program, WILL Empower staff work with program graduates on job identification and recommendation.
● A proven commitment to social and economic justice;
● A strong interest in being part of a program designed to build a new generation of women’s labor leadership;
● An interest in working long-term in a worker-based organization;
● Solid leadership skills;
● Excellent writing and speaking skills;
● Proven experience in at least one of the areas of apprenticeship focus: organizing, policy, research, communications, politics or mobilization. Experience with student organizations and / or local unions counts.
● People of color, people under the age of 35, and bilingual individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. LBTQ applicants welcome.
● Note that this is not for full-time students. Rather, the apprenticeship is a full-time job training experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Rutgers University and Georgetown University are Equal Opportunity employers.
Are the apprenticeships only with unions?
No. Apprenticeships can be with many kinds of worker organizations or economic justice organizations.
How long will the apprenticeship last?
The apprenticeship can last between 3 and 12 months, depending on what the host organization and the apprentice each need.
Do you provide housing?
No, we do not provide housing.
Do you provide health care or other benefits?
Some apprentices will access benefits through the host organization, but this is not guaranteed.
Will I get to talk to the host organization before I start?
Yes, before we offer a placement, we will connect you with the organization to make sure it is a good match.
Will I have mentoring support?
Yes, each apprentice will have at least two mentors; one within the host organization and one outside the host organization. Apprentices also talk frequently with WILL Empower staffers.
Is this only for Washington, D.C.?
No, the apprenticeships are based across the country, and can be seated in organizations that work at the national, regional or local level.
Do I have to have a college degree?
No, a college degree is not required.