2018 Spring & Summer Junior Information Systems Fellow
- Internship posted by Scholars Strategy Network
Hours per week
15-20 hours per week with possibility of additional hours
675 Massachusetts Avenue
The Scholars Strategy Network is looking for a Junior Information Systems Fellow to work alongside the Research & Policy team. The Scholars Strategy Network is a one-stop resource that connects journalists, policymakers, and civic leaders to America’s top scholars and their research. Together they inform news and help solve the nation’s toughest policy problems.
Across the country, chapters and scholars volunteer their research, time, and energy. Scholars join the network to become part of a community of leading researchers who are dedicated to improving policy and strengthening democracy.
Through the network, journalists, policymakers, and civic leaders connect with responsive scholars and jargon-free research to support their work.
The junior fellow will be responsible for streamlining and managing network members’ data, maintaining web content, and ensuring staff, other network leaders, and network connections have easy access to the various types of membership data required for building and maintaining strong relationships with the network’s growing membership. The junior fellow, as with all staff – and especially junior and intern level staff, will occasionally be called on to support other departments’ fast-moving projects. Additional responsibilities can range from compiling outreach lists, to coordinating event logistics, to printing and collating.
The position requires a commitment of 15-20 hours per week. Additional hours may become available. Hourly pay range is $14-$20 per hour, based on qualifications and experience.
The ideal candidate would start immediately and work until the end of August 2018. Start and end dates are negotiable.
The Scholars Strategy Network’s National Office is currently located in Central Square at 675 Massachusetts Ave., 8th Floor, Cambridge, MA 02139 (though we’re moving soon!). The junior fellow will report to Ben Miyamoto, the Associate Director of Research & Policy and work closely with the other Research & Policy fellows. Work schedule is relatively flexible and will be discussed in the interview process.
- Supporting the Research & Policy Team in creating and maintaining web content including but not limited to: two-page policy briefs, member profiles, and website spotlights
- Managing and streamlining the member database (Podio)
- Tracking data on recruitment, member scholars, and additional areas as identified
- Proofreading and editing (and occasionally drafting) member profiles
- Assisting network staff and chapter leaders with strategic recruitment
- Working with communications staff to create and send newsletters and other outgoing member communications
- Completing additional duties as assigned
- A commitment to the network’s mission and vision
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Enthusiasm for learning
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Dropbox
- Ability to adapt to new data and information systems
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to managing multiple projects at once
- Self-motivation and a positive, professional attitude
- Undergraduate or graduate degree
- Interest in managing information systems and excited by problem solving
- Experience with Podio or other CRM platforms
- Proven ability or experience with administrative duties
How To Apply
SSN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. If you don’t check all the boxes, but think you could contribute to the team, please reach out.
To apply: email a brief cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and two references to Kristina Mensik at email@example.com with the subject line “Junior Information Systems Fellow” – [Your Name].”
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.