Project Harmony Israel Summer 2018 General Counselors
- Internship posted by Hand in Hand: Center for Jewish-Arab Education in Israel
Hours per week
35 hours per week
Project Harmony Israel is seeking full-time General Counselors for Summer 2018. Project Harmony (www.projectharmonyisrael.com) is an immersive English language summer camp for Arab and Jewish youth, which works in collaboration with the Hand in Hand network of integrated schools in Israel (http://www.handinhandk12.org/). Project Harmony has been operating in Jerusalem since 2010. In the summer of 2017, for the first time, a second summer camp was also held in Wadi Ara, the site of Hand in Hand's Bridge Across the Wadi campus!
Project Harmony English Camp will run from June 24th-July 26th, 2018, from 8:30am-3:30pm. The first week is devoted to staff training, and camp is in session Sundays through Thursdays during the month of July. General Counselors will be responsible for a group of 10-12 kids ages 9-14 at all times, guiding them between activities and ensuring that they are safe, engaged, and having fun. The position is unpaid, but can be used for college credit.
The ideal candidate has an interest in Jewish-Arab coexistence programs in general and integrated education in particular, knowledge of the conflict and the politics of the region, and a great desire to facilitate creative programming. Previous work with children is a must. This position is a unique opportunity to work intimately with a dedicated, dynamic team of individuals from all around the world and to become deeply invested in the history, culture, and politics of Jerusalem, Wadi Ara, and the surrounding areas.
- Attend a one-week staff training
- Be responsible for overseeing 10-12 campers and creating appropriate programming for them, in consultation with supervisors
- Participate in activities with the campers to ensure they are engaged
- Devote special attention to campers who are struggling developmentally, behaviorally or linguistically
- Work closely with other staff members and your supervisors to ensure that each child's needs are acknowledged and met
- Navigate language barriers
- Know when to ask for help!
- Some college preferred; consideration will also be given to highly qualified junior and senior high school students
- Excellent oral skills; must be personable and outgoing
- Ability to command a room of up to 50 9- to 14-year olds
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to take initiative
- Interest in coexistence programs and integrated education
- Desire to gain non-profit experience
- Experience with children a must
Project Harmony is not able to pay a stipend for our volunteers at this time. We do, however, provide as much logistical help as possible in the form of optional group travel and lodging packages and support from our fundraising team to help defray the costs of your trip. Some volunteers join us after other organized trips to the region and are able to save money on travel in this regard, and others stay with family or friends.
Additionally, because we are a nonprofit which relies heavily on fundraising, we require staff to contribute as best as they can to our collective online fundraising goals for the organization. We offer plenty of support to help you figure out how to fundraise, and you'll receive a percentage of your fundraising back as a stipend should you reach your goal. Our staff fundraising campaigns have brought in over $50,000 over the last seven summers, and these funds make up a critical part of our operating budget.
If you have questions about any of this, please let us know. We look forward to hearing from you!
How To Apply
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Summer General Counselor":
-A brief cover letter that addresses your interest in the Middle East, coexistence programming, and/or working with children
-A 1-2 paragraph response to the following question: What single experience most transformed you, and why?
Note: If you have any questions regarding the application process or Project Harmony in general, please contact email@example.com.