Are you looking to kick-start your career while getting to know an extraordinary and fun African destination? Do you want to combine travel and adventure with building your global network of business contacts? Are you passionate about the global start-up world?
The Akilah Campus of Davis College is entering an exciting new phase of long-term institutional sustainability and thus has launched a new department called New Ventures. This team is responsible for generating new streams of revenue through a systematic and nimble process of internal innovation and entrepreneurship. We are looking for a motivated individual to help us with the business planning and research process, and learn how entrepreneurship works in practice!
The Fellow would work closely with the Director of New Ventures on the Akilah campus. The general duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research
- Assist in the development of brainstorming sessions
- Develop business plans and financial models
- Develop evaluation tools for the iteration process
- Liaise with stakeholders and customers critical to venture launches
You must be someone who:
- Has exceptional writing skills
- Has financial modelling experience/background
- Feels confident about ability to learn from open source evaluation tools and adapt one tailored for NV use
- Gets things done quickly
- Is energetic, organized and motivated to learn
- Has strong skills in Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Internet research
- You are skilled at moving quickly, prioritizing critical tasks with grace and tenacious follow up in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You love taking ideas and running with them. You can complete projects without an exact roadmap for how to get them done.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity; you can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- You are relentlessly resourceful and refuse to be slowed down by anything in your way.
- You have a strong track record of successfully cultivating relationships, preferably in an international or higher education context.
- You have exceptional communication skills in a cross-cultural setting, and have effective diplomacy and negotiation skills.
- You can define strategy as well as execute as a rock-star individual contributor.
- You push to get access to the resources you need, can contribute to sustainable effort when the situation calls for it, and be creative in finding ways to remove blocks.
- You are exceptionally motivated by the idea of building a global community of lifelong learners. You can lead by example and be ready to do whatever it takes to ensure success.
- You are extraordinarily resilient, positive, and proactive.
- You are an enthusiastic proponent and impeccable user of all systems available to you to continually drive improvements in operational efficiency.
- You approach your work with a commitment to building a positive organizational culture that values continuous learning, excellence, transparency, honest feedback, perseverance, and sense of humor.
- You listen to constructive feedback, aim for improvement, and give yourself room to feel satisfied with what you’ve accomplished.