2318 Mill Road
Are you interested in making a world of difference in cancer care?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, VA based internship. To learn what it’s like to work at ASCO, click here.
We are looking for a highly motivated Communications Intern to provide programmatic and administrative support for ASCO’s Communications and Patient Information department. This opportunity will offer hands-on experience to build fundamental communication and social media skills that will contribute to the intern’s professional development and portfolio.
Internship Activities Include:
- Copyediting and/or proofreading articles for ASCO’s official member magazine ASCO Connection and maintaining the Connection website index
- Working with the media team to research and update media distribution lists
- Working with the Cancer.Net team to create and publish a public and searchable database of reputable, third-party online resources, and logging historical data about Cancer.Net blog posts
- Posting approved stakeholder content to ASCO’s main social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Contributing to social media content planning and supporting the meeting photography request process in preparation for the 2019 ASCO Annual Meeting
- Assisting with managing YouTube requests, including uploading content, adding captions, and maintaining playlists, and supporting requests to catalog items within digital asset management systems
- Performing a social media competitive analysis of similar organizations' content, posting frequency and habits, engagement techniques, and audience demographics in comparison to ASCO and Cancer.Net’s channels.
- Drafting announcements to raise awareness about ASCO’s Conquer Cancer Foundation award recipients and tracking related media coverage
- Collecting and analyzing metrics for member e-news channels
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate BA/BS degree program or graduate program, or recently graduated from a 4-year degree program in Communications, English or a related field
- Writing and/or social media coursework or experience is a plus
- Keen knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic understanding of the primary responsibilities of a communications department
- Willingness to learn and apply new skills
- Collaborative attitude and sense of teamwork
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Duration: 10 weeks during Spring 2019. Start and end dates to be customized based on successful candidate’s class schedules. This internship is approximately 25 hours per week with flexibility.
Compensation: This spring internship position is paid. Additionally, ASCO will provide parking or a metro subsidy to the successful candidate.
Other: Candidates should reside in the D.C. metro area or be able to relocate at their own expense.
To apply for this internship, please submit your resume and a cover letter.