Hours per week
24-32 hours per week
District of Columbia
Media Matters for America -- a progressive, Washington, D.C-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media -- is seeking a Communications Intern for the Summer. Interns will provide support to Media Matters' Communications Department which is responsible for the organization's media outreach effort.
Interns will participate in an internship that runs from early January to late May/early June 2019. The Spring Internship requires 24-32 hours a week.
The Communications Intern is responsible for providing day to day support to the Communications Team and working on both short- and long- term projects.
- The Communications Intern will report to the Communications Director.
- Compile daily press clips, monitor and collect press hits, outreach campaigns, and other examples of our successes to keep tabs on the ongoing impact of Media Matters’ work.
- Help maintain database of reporter distribution lists and update contact information. As directed, the Communications Intern will help identify reporters to add to existing lists and help generate new media lists in order to advance organizational goals.
- Aid in long-term research projects for members of the Communications Department.
- Support day-to-day operations of the Communications Department as needed - this could include but is not limited to: drafting pitch emails, making pitch phone calls, and assisting in the drafting of press releases, media advisories and Op-eds
- All interested applicants are encouraged to apply; the ideal candidate will be a junior or senior in college, preferably pursuing degree in journalism, politics, public policy, or related field
- Interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate
- Deep knowledge of current media landscape
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work both as a part of a team and independently
- Previous communications experience a plus
Media Matters for America provides interns with a stipend of $1,500 per month.
How To Apply
Please apply through our online portal at https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview. Schedules will be determined by mutual agreement between the intern and Media Matters at the time of the internship offer.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.