NY Healing Justice - Liberation Summer Camp Internship
- Internship posted by AFSC (American Friends Service Committee) New York, NY & Newark, NJ
$15 per hour, total $3600
Hours per week
10 weeks, 24 hours per week
American Friends Service Committee
15 Rutherford Place
NY HEALING JUSTICE LIBERATION SUMMER CAMP
Amid a today’s political reality, pointed efforts must be made to empower local communities for national resistance. The New York Office of the American Friends Service Committee will contribute to this effort during our 2018 Liberation Summer Youth Advocacy Training Camp. Our focus will be empowering young people with the skills and strategies, including using the arts, to advocate for healing in our criminal and immigration legal systems. We are seeking an intern to join us in this work.
The American Friends Service Committee’s Summer Internship Program is designed to engage undergraduate and graduate students with the world of public service and peace and social justice issues. As an intern you will work alongside AFSC staff helping to implement current programs and achieve AFSC’s mission. You will work within a framework of a work plan and learning objectives with the opportunity to participate in activities such as client engagement and in depth research. You may work directly with clients and perform in depth research. Upon completion of the internship, you will have the opportunity to reflect upon and evaluate your experience.In this position, the intern will:
- Assist in the development of the Camp’s curriculum and lesson plans;
- Assist with Camp logistics;
- Participate in Camp sessions, including some limited travel;
- Guide the Camp’s use of social media
- Participate in ongoing evaluations of the camp and an end of camp debrief (schedule permitting);
- Present on their internship experience;
- Participate in an exit interview process at the end of the internship.
During this work, the intern should:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the criminal justice and immigration systems and their impacts on young people;
- Hone presentation skills, both oral and written;
- Learn filmmaking and photography skills and;
- Acquire skills in popular education.
- College or graduate student or recent high school graduate with diploma or GED.
- Able to give at least 24 hours a week to the Summer Internship.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well and develop rapport with people from different cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Interest in learning and applying Quaker values of peace, social justice, and equality in the work environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
1. Review the internship descriptions on this website. https://www.afsc.org/internship/ny-healing-justice-liberation-summer-camp-internship
2. Write a letter of interest indicating your preferred position, tying your skills, education and experience with the area in which you want to work.
3. Download the application as a PDF document and open in Adobe reader. Do not open directly from the browser. If you have any trouble please try to open the document in Internet Explorer. If that doesn’t work please email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Complete the application, and save it as “AFSC Application your name.pdf”.
5. Attach your resume; letter of interest; two references, one personal and one professional (contact information and relationship only) and the completed application to one email and send it to email@example.com.