$15 an hour
Hours per week
2101 L Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Do you want to change the world? Are you passionate about the power of data? Do you want to contribute to groundbreaking work that provides government, business and community leaders around the world with evidence-based insight to guide better policymaking and investments to improve the quality of life for all people?
We are looking for a fun, creative, outcome-driven student or recent university graduate to join the Social Progress Imperative team in redefining how the world measures success, putting things that matter to real people’s lives at the top of the agenda. The intern will help manage the organization’s social media and website, conduct research on donors and partners, and develop creative marketing material to reach and engage key influencers and supporters.
This is a part time position to start immediately and extend through May 2019 with the possibility of continuing through the summer.
The Social Progress Imperative strives to improve the lives of people around the world by fostering research and knowledge on social progress and using data to catalyze action. We provide a robust, holistic measurement tool, the Social Progress Index (SPI), which captures how well a society converts its resources into social and environmental outcomes on things people really care about, including health, safety, shelter, education, rights and freedom. This data has real power. Innovative leaders from Europe to India to the rainforests of the Amazon have adopted SPIs to help them identify and prioritize the most pressing social issues in their communities and shape policies, investments and actions to improve them.
SPI and related tools are powered by the Social Progress Imperative, a US-based global nonprofit with its principal office in Washington, DC and local partners throughout the world. We are a small organization with an entrepreneurial spirit driven by a singular, audacious goal: A world in which social progress sits alongside economic prosperity as a core benchmark of success, driving debate, decision-making and action.
This is a unique opportunity for an intellectually curious self-starter who is passionate about building a fairer, more sustainable world and helping to convey the visual identity and thought leadership of this innovative global initiative. The strongest candidates also will be excited to work in a flexible, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment across different countries, cultures and time zones. Within this internship, Social Progress Imperative also will provide the Communications & Fundraising Intern additional professional development opportunities and exposure to other work streams and initiatives.
The Communications & Fundraising Intern must have a strong social media, writing, and research skills. Candidates with website design and/or graphic design experience are highly desired.
Primary responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
· Create and publish content to social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) and the organization’s website.
· Develop infographics and other digital collateral.
· Monitor media for mention of the organization’s efforts.
· Help analyze and report on the effectiveness of communications activities.
· Partner with technical experts and local partners to document use cases and develop marketing material on the Social Progress Index.
· Identify and research potential donors and partners to support the organization’s global and regional work, as well as specific initiatives focused on gender equity and human rights.
· Help develop donor cultivation and stewardship strategies, and assist in preparing and submitting funding letters of inquiry, grant proposals, grant reports, and thank your letters.
Desired Experience and Skills:
· Excellent writing and editing skills
· Experience actively managing Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts
· Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
· Ability to work independently and think creatively while meeting deadline
· Attention to detail with strong organizational skills
· Enthusiasm for our mission
The Social Progress Imperative is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
Well qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for this position as soon as possible by sending a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role and resume to email@example.com. Work samples may be requested of finalists as well.