1025 "F" Street, NW
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, and is seeking an Intern for the Africa Program. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Position Summary: The Africa regional program team seeks an individual with strong research, writing, communication, and organizational skills who has a demonstrated interest in sub-Saharan Africa and in democracy work in the region. Energetic, creative and flexible team players who take initiatives, prioritize several competing tasks, and work independently are encouraged to apply. The unpaid internship is open to current graduate or undergraduate students.
- Conduct research to track political developments throughout Africa;
- Assist in drafting invitation letters, organizing event logistics, note taking, meeting agendas and newsletters;
- Take notes during meetings and draft minutes;
- Attend lectures and roundtable discussions on African policy issues; and,
- Work with other members of the Africa team as requested.
- Candidate must be a registered student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate-level program; able to receive college credit or transcript notation of participation in our program for each semester of the internship. An independent study option, if approved by your university is also possible.
- Qualified candidates should have excellent writing skills, strong analytical skills, maintain a strong work ethic and have sharp attention to detail. Students must also have strong computer skills.
Time Commitment: 24-40 hrs./week (not to exceed 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
Travel Reimbursement: $12/day for commuter expenses
NED Application Deadline: n/a; All internships are posted until filled
Anticipated Start Date: o/a January 7, 2019
Orientation Dates: o/a January 7-11, 2019
Anticipated End Date: o/a May 17, 2019
Authorization: Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
How To Apply
Click here. Please send information regarding of your school’s academic credit for internship program, a cover letter, resume, writing sample from a college term paper or something equivalent, and contact information for three references. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.