ROOTS OF DEVELOPMENT is a small 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to help marginalized communities obtain the financial resources and organizational skills they need to manage their own development. Our Vision is for a world in which the very communities living in poverty are the ones leading the fight against it; a world in which impoverished communities decide their own future and manage their own development…"Development without Dependency".
We are currently seeking a Program & Communications Intern for the spring of 2019. The Program & Communications Intern will carry out a wide range of duties, including contact and donor management, communications and marketing, program development and proposal writing, and fundraising. Depending on the intern’s skills and experiences, he/she will be responsible for creating content for Roots of Development's website and social media platforms, strengthening Roots’ impact evaluation processes, and developing written materials for fundraising events and project proposals. The position will require research about Haiti to understand different perspectives and conversations around the country and in relation to international development.
We are looking for someone highly motivated, creative, detail-oriented, and independent. We ask all our interns to have a certain degree of flexibility and a strong commitment to professionalism. Interns with Roots of Development have the potential to make a serious impact on Roots' growth in the U.S. and in Haiti.
- Assist with donor database management and data entry
- Prepare content for social media, blog, newsletters, and website
- Program development and project proposal writing
- Strengthening our impact evaluation activities
- Assist in preparation of fundraising events
- Strong research and administrative skills
- Strong communication (writing and editing) skills
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Interest in international development
- Positive and outgoing personality
- Motivated to work independently
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience with Wordpress
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign
- Language skills: French and/or Haitian Creole
Our internships are open to part-time or full-time students, able to work a minimum of 2 full days per week.
Interning with Roots of Development will provide you with experience in a fast-paced start-up type of atmosphere. You will learn a great deal about community-driven development and what it takes to manage an international non-profit, including program management, non-profit administration, and fundraising and communication strategies.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest in and qualification for the position and a resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hire on a rolling basis, so be sure to get your materials in as soon as possible.