Hours per week
15 hours per week
70 Lincoln Center Plaza
About the Metropolitan Opera Guild
The Metropolitan Opera Guild is a premier arts education organization dedicated to enriching people’s lives through the magic and artistry of opera. The Guild fosters collaboration, literacy skills, and self-confidence in children with customized education programs integrated into the curriculum of their schools, and builds a deeper appreciation of opera in adults through workshops, community programs, and by publishing OPERA NEWS, the world’s leading opera magazine. Through its unique relationship with the Metropolitan Opera, the Guild offers newcomers to opera and its most ardent fans access to one of the world’s most renowned performing arts companies.
Summary Position Description
OPERA NEWS, a publication of the Metropolitan Opera Guild, is the largest circulation classical music magazine in North America, and reaches a global audience with insightful writing on opera. This educational internship provides the ideal opportunity to learn about the advertising and circulation aspects of magazine publishing. Through a variety of projects, the selected candidate will learn and build skills that can apply directly to any role within the ad industry and/or publishing business.
What You’ll Do:
- Learn about the position of OPERA NEWS within its environment through an advertising-based SWOT Analysis. Conduct research on what other similar advertisers offer clients. Develop ideas for outreach and sales strategies.
- Sales lead prospecting. Identify advertisers that have fallen off the magazine’s roster, and potential new advertisers who could have a good fit with OPERA NEWS. Find contact information for pitching. Assemble e-blasts for cold pitching and cultivating relationships.
- Maintain/update the department’s historical record of advertising relationships, research and billing.
- Identify opportunities for direct newsstand sales to other opera companies, museums, small retailers, etc.
- Fulfill back issue orders and maintain inventory of issue copies in-house.
- Assist Guild representation at the Metropolitan Opera’s Summer Broadcast Festival.
- Research general industry audience and readership trends.
- Participate in designing and setting up digital ads on the website and digital edition app.
- Learn about list trades and explore opportunities in this area for OPERA NEWS.
- Current student, ideally pursuing undergraduate or graduate degree in Advertising, Marketing, Music History and/or the Vocal Arts.
- Demonstrates patience, good judgement, and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well independently. Is tech savvy and enjoys research.
- Is able to commit to a minimum schedule of 15 hours each week, for a minimum of 10-12 weeks.
This is an unpaid internship. The internship takes place in Manhattan, New York, and may be eligible for school credit depending upon individual school requirements. The intern must secure own housing and transportation within the New York City area, and be able to work a set schedule of two or three days per week in our offices on the Lincoln Center campus.
This internship is unpaid. Start date and hours are flexible within a normal work week.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and/or interest in the position. Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The Metropolitan Opera Guild is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender including gender identity, pregnancy including pregnancy related impairments, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, military status, partnership status, familial status, any lawful source of income, status as a victim of domestic violence or status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, or any other characteristic protected by law. Employment opportunities are open to all qualified applicants solely on the basis of their experience, aptitude and ability.