MTA Unlimited Metro Card (June, July, August)
Hours per week
75 Maiden Lane
Barbershop Books, winner of the National Book Foundation's 2017 Innovations in Reading Prize and the premiere literacy program of Reading Holiday Project, Inc., has an exciting internship opportunity for entrepreneurial individuals who desire real-world experience in the nonprofit sector. We're seeking an intern with a passion for education, literacy, community engagement, and social impact.
Barbershop Books creates child-friendly reading spaces in barbershops and provides early literacy training to barbers. Our mission is to help black boys identify as readers by connecting books and reading to a male-centered space and by involving men in boys’ early reading experiences.
We are an innovative and award-winning start-up with a national brand that has recently been featured on NPR's All Things Considered, TED, CNN, The Today Show, and CBS. The Program Intern will work on several program-related projects.
- Communicate with barbers, barbershop owners, and local community partners
- Assist with program evaluation, data collection, and entry
- Assist with planning and execution of Summer Book Giveaway
- Identify relevant education conferences
- Assist program manager
- The ideal candidate will have a college degree in education, psychology, or a demonstrated interest in early childhood education
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Passionate about early literacy and early childhood education
- Excellent verbal skills, written communication, and computer skills
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and working independently
- Flexible and creative
- Thrive in fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Team player
How To Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org