At A Glimmer of Hope, we are working for a brighter future for Ethiopia. With the power of our holistic approach to poverty reduction, we can delay the age of marriage for girls, support safer pregnancies and healthier babies, and foster thriving village economies.To not only survive but thrive in rural Ethiopia, families need a foundation of resilience created through good income opportunities, clean drinking water, quality education and modern health care.
We are accepting applications for three internship positions for the spring semester: a Communications Intern, a Programs Intern, and an Operations Intern.
Specific duties within the Communications Internship may include:
- Assist with research related to Glimmer's marketing, communications and fundraising.
- Contribute to projects that enhance Glimmer’s communications to our donors through writing, storytelling, synthesis of programs information and more.
- Help organize our media content libraries.
- Contribute to and help build Glimmer's online presence.
- Write and edit copy; assist with visual storytelling.
- Assist with other media projects as needed.
Specific duties within the Programs Internship may include:
- Helping to review, evaluate, and analyze programmatic data and data collection strategies.
- Supporting the implementation of a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework based on global best practices.
- Facilitating the design and standardization of programs process documents.
- Providing overall support to Glimmer’s Programs and Special Projects teams.
Specific duties within the Operations Internship may include:
- Conducting research on data governance best practices and helping write draft policies.
- Assisting in the development of data dictionaries for Glimmer’s source systems.
- Contributing to the development of an organizational IT Policies & Procedures Manual.
- Helping to streamline and standardize program and project-related information in Glimmer’s databases.
- Helping document and construct visual maps of Glimmer’s internal systems.
- Contributing to projects that build efficiency between Glimmer’s Austin and Addis Ababa offices.
- Assisting with other projects that support Glimmer’s systems integration initiatives.
- You're a world changer. Interested in serving humanity? An internship at Glimmer means you'll be a part of something big. Something that helps create change in your world.
- You're independent and innovative, yet roll with the punches. We expect creative thinking and solutions from everyone here.
- You are a self-starter who thinks outside the box and provides real-time solutions without handholding. Our close-knit departments constantly overlap, so you can jump right into group projects, and deal with a diverse group.
- Your organization skills intimidate Martha Stewart. You stay organized throughout the duration of a project, and are able to juggle multiple projects at a time. You're a firm believer that every detail matters.
- You get things done. You're a pro at meeting deadlines. If you don't know, you ask questions and get what you need to get the job done. You communicate early if there is a problem. You don't just show up, you perform your best.
- Knowledgeable and experienced. You have the education and work experience to back up your mad skills as a communicator and data analyst.
We're looking for part-time interns to support our Austin-based team for spring 2021. Schedule is flexible, and the positions are temporarily remote due to Covid-19.
An internship at A Glimmer of Hope is an incredible opportunity for students to gain experience at an international non-profit with a mission to help change the world. This is an unpaid internship but it may count for internship credit at your college or university.
Please submit your resume and answers to the following questions to jobs [at] glimmer [dot] org. Please indicate whether you are applying to the Communications Intern, Programs Intern, or Operations Intern position in the subject line.
- Describe yourself.
- How did you become familiar with Glimmer?
- How did humanitarian work become a priority for you?
- Explain why you are applying for this position, and what makes you a good fit.
- If you are accepted, what will your personal goals be during your time here?
- What are two or three of your favorite websites?
- What is the last book that you read and enjoyed? The last book you read and didn’t enjoy?
- What are your three favorite movies?