$35 a day (minimum of 4 hours per day)
Hours per week
2-3 days per week
150 Court Street
The AAFSC Development and Communications Intern will assist our organization with online communications, special events, and development-related projects. He or she will add to their skill sets by attending informal and formal trainings on non-profit communications and development. The internship is part-time (minimum 2 days per week for 7 hours per day) for a period of at least 3 to 4 months.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Support with maintaining and updating AAFSC’s social media accounts and blog.
· Develop engaging visual content (such as info-graphics), and craft informative writing to communicate AAFSC’s work to our clients and supporters
· Assist with the writing, copy-editing, formatting, and distribution of monthly e-newsletter, acknowledgement letters for donors, and internal communications
· Assist with photographing events
· Monitor media coverage of AAFSC; monitor media outlets (newspapers, television, radio) for news and developments regarding immigrant communities (with a special focus on the Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian immigrant and refugee communities), as well as thematic issues, such as domestic violence, sexual assault or immigration laws
· Assist with all aspects of communications related to special events, including cultivating sponsors, advertisement, creation of print and online material, etc.
· Update donor management system with new entries on a weekly basis
· Assist with prospect research for individual donors as well as foundations, government grants, etc.
· Other tasks as required to assist with the overall strategy of AAFSC as it relates to development and communications
· Student enrolled in a relevant undergraduate degree program, or a recent graduate
· Commitment and passion for social and economic justice and the empowerment of immigrant, refugee and low-income communities a must
· Excellent written and oral communication skills; considerable media relations and social media experience is a plus
· Excellent research skills; internet-research savvy
· Graphic design skills and proficiency in creating eye-catching and innovative content for social media a plus; proficiency with graphics programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, and interest/experience in basic coding are pluses
· Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (emphasis on Word and Excel), Social Media (Facebook, Twitter , etc.)
· Excellent organizational, time-management, follow-up, and administrative skills with a strong attention to detail
· Self-starter, flexible, with a sense of humor and ability to work independently and as a part of a team in a deadline driven environment
· Previous experience in a non-profit environment preferred
· Previous event planning experience preferred
How To Apply
Please submit 3 references (other than relatives), a resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experiences meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone queries please. All cover letters and resumes must be submitted via email. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.