Hours per week
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
SKIP is a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. Our aim is to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
Within SKIP, we have two main Departments; Education and Family Welfare. Within the Education Department, we have pre-school, primary, secondary and English Programmes. Within family welfare, we have psychology, economic development, social work and health Programmes.
The Psychology Programme
The Psychology Programme works in close collaboration with the Social Work Programme to increase the social and emotional well-being of all families in SKIP. It provides support groups for children who are experiencing difficulties and runs parenting groups to look at behaviour management techniques. It also runs direct individual therapy sessions, with a focus on brief interventions for explicit difficulties that can be resolved in usually no more than 5 or 6 appointments.
The Psychology Assistant will work under the supervision of the Psychology Coordinator. Activities will vary slightly depending on the level of Spanish and clinical experience of the volunteer as well as based on the activities planned for the time of year that the volunteer joins the psychology team. The assistant will typically spend 1-2 sessions a week working with psychology, and the remainder of sessions will be within the other Education and Family Welfare departments as is appropriate given the organisation’s needs and the volunteer’s interest.
For assistants with lower levels of Spanish and less psychology experience, activities will mainly involve working with children in SKIP with special learning or behavioral needs. Assistants will:
- Conduct structured observations in the classroom of student behavior in order to assist in lesson planning, therapy goals, or group planning for the psychologist and teachers
- Provide classroom assistance (1:1 or 2:1) as a teacher’s aide for students with special learning or behavioral needs
- Meet with the psychologist for individual or group supervision regarding the students’ needs
- Assist with development of appropriate activities for the student(s)
For assistants with higher levels of Spanish AND more clinical experience, activities may include the following:
- Assisting in the planning of and/or carrying out group therapy sessions for primary school children
- Assisting in planning of and/or carrying out workshops for adolescents or mothers on various topics (including child development, mental health, healthy relationships and preventing interpersonal violence)
- Observing psycho-educational evaluations, and assisting with observations of referred children, report writing, and aspects of testing as appropriate.
Due to the nature of the work carried out, volunteers will need to commit to a placement of a minimum of two months and have a good level of Spanish.
- Relevant degree or currently studying/within a relevant field
- Passion for working with children and families
- Minimum 2 month commitment.
- Experience working with children
- Upwards of intermediate Spanish
- Experience in leading or helping with therapy groups
- Experience working in South America.
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our videos
Or you can read our annual reports
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios for all our permanent team on the website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service