Hours per week
~30 hours per week; ~4 days a week
222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza
The Illinois Science & Technology Coalition and Institute is offering a nine-month internship to provide direct experience working for a high-impact non-profit focused on technology-based economic development. This is an ideal opportunity for a young professional with an interest in the intersection of science and technology data and policy, public-private partnerships, state/federal level advocacy, program management, and STEM education.
The Illinois Science & Technology Coalition (ISTC) is a member-driven, 1871-based, nonprofit organization that measures, connects, and advocates for the Illinois innovation economy. We make powerful links between the state’s universities, industry, startups, and government to strengthen our economy and talent pipeline through data collection, policy advocacy, and programs. The Illinois Science & Technology Institute (ISTI) is our c3 affiliate that provides programs and partnerships to connect companies with classrooms. ISTI supports schools and companies who want to impact the next generation of innovators, to build a stronger, more inclusive talent pipeline in Illinois.
You will gain insight into how an established nonprofit functions on a granular level and how it provides value to partners and the broader community. You will get exposure to a variety of different organizations – large businesses, universities, other nonprofits – all working to position the state and the region as a leader for technology innovation. This is a paid nine (9) month internship (targeting Fall 2018 to Summer 2019) with an option for extension.
- Assist in the development and distribution of ISTC publications, including our monthly e-newsletter Catalyst and the Illinois Innovation Index, which measures Illinois’ innovation performance across a variety of inputs
- Assist with data collection, cleaning, and statistical analysis of data sets
- Maintain and support ISTC/I’s social media and web presence – which includes the promotion of technology and innovation news and activities across ISTC’s network and updating our website
- Assist in drafting and editing press releases and media outreach
- Support ISTC/I’s programmatic efforts as needed – including the Corporate-Startup Challenge, our matchmaking program that connects corporations with early stage and emerging growth companies; and our STEM education programs, which connect some of the state’s most innovative companies with high schools over the course of a semester to work on authentic problems
- Assist program staff with events (periodic, but could include press events around data releases, board meetings, STEM education events, teacher training workshops, advocacy events, etc.)
- Attend events in the community and at ISTC member entities tied to research and development, technology, innovation, entrepreneurship
- Assist with the general operations of the organization, including but not limited to, clerical tasks including filing, data entry, contact and schedule management and provide support, as needed to ISTC President & CEO
- 30 hours/week commitment
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy, journalism, communications, business, or relevant STEM field
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong research skills and familiarity with quantitative analysis
- An interest in science and technology, economic development, STEM education, and public policy
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency or familiarity with social media and blogging platforms, specifically LinkedIn, Twitter, WordPress, and HootSuite; MailChimp or similar software; and Adobe Suite including InDesign and Photoshop
- An ability to work independently and self-manage time
How To Apply
Recent graduates and graduate students interested in the ISTC Internship Program should submit (1) cover letter indicating dates available, (1) resume, and (1) writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, please include [ISTC/I internship application].