1342 Florida Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
PAVE (Parents Amplifying Voices in Education) is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to connect, inform, and empower parent leaders to give families in DC a voice and choice in the vision for education in our city. In the vision of PAVE, parents are partners and leaders in developing a diversity of safe, nurturing, and great schools for every child in every ward and community.
PAVE is dedicated to creating an environment where the vision for education in DC is not created for children and families but rather with children and families, shifting and changing the dynamics of power in our city so that communities and parents are partners in creating great schools in DC. PAVE intentionally and constructively asks parents to engage in education policy in DC, creates opportunities for parents to lead and advocate, helps parents to understand the system, builds relationships between parents and those who are making and influencing the education landscape in DC, and advocates on behalf of great school options and equitable supports for all children, regardless of sector.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Policy, the Policy Intern will serve as a critical support in providing parents and families with information about the education system in DC and policies that will affect them directly. The Policy Intern will assist in policy research and content development as well as assist in executing the organization’s community engagement efforts.
The Policy Intern will work closely with all members of the policy team at PAVE and will:
- Provide staff with support in research and analysis of various topics, organizations, and key players in the education field.
- Assist in the development of informational materials and resources for parents, families, and community members and any other content needs.
- Assist in the development of case studies of promising practices in education
- Assist in the collection, aggregation, and analysis of community feedback data to inform final reporting and recommendations for our partners.
- Provide any other content or operational support to the Associate Director of Policy and PAVE staff as needed.
The Policy Intern can be an undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduate interested in public policy, education, or local advocacy.
- Familiarity with policy organizations, local policy, or the education field is a plus.
- Unwavering commitment to family-centered programs and data-driven program evaluation;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, community-centered and innovative approach to organizing and community engagement;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people; and
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
This position is paid. We are seeking support from November to February with the opportunity for future long-term employment.