The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is dedicated to saving lives and bringing hope to those affected by suicide. AFSP creates a culture that’s smart about mental health through education and community programs, develops suicide prevention through research and advocacy, and provides support for those affected by suicide. AFSP has local chapters in all 50 states with programs and events nationwide. AFSP’s Development Internship is a multi-faceted opportunity to work in a fast-paced, supportive environment while furthering AFSP’s critical mission.
The program offers a PAID internship to students, which runs from January/February to May, and must be tied to a college-level internship program.
Reports to: Director, Corporate Giving
The Development Intern works closely with all members of the Development team which exists to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals & companies interested in supporting AFSP. The Development Intern will provide management and coordination support for these efforts:
· Corporate, Individual, and Foundation partnerships
· Out of the Darkness fundraising walks
· Third-party fundraising and events
· Research and prepare background for individuals, corporations and possible sponsorship/grant applications
· Assist with corporate partnership ideation and presentation preparation as well as attend corporate partner meetings and take notes
· Assist with gift acknowledgment, donor database (Virtuous) and filing of donations
· Support and attend special events and fundraising activities
· Draft and proofread professional correspondence
· Assist in sponsorships and in-kind requests (both written and verbal)
· Coordinate closely with marketing team on social media, collateral, and web content to promote events
Required Knowledge & Skills:
· Pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Dependable, reliable, honest & trustworthy
· Self-motivated, flexible team player with a positive attitude, demonstrate ability to multi-task and the ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities
· Comfort with soliciting/interacting with individuals & companies face-to-face, on the phone or via mail/email.
· Exceptional phone etiquette
· Research, writing, editing and proof-reading skills
· Demonstrate commitment to non-profit work
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) applications, email and donor management system preferred
· Must be 18 years or older and authorized to work in the United States
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Development Intern in the subject line. Applications without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is dedicated to saving lives and bringing hope to those affected by suicide. AFSP creates a culture that’s smart about mental health through education and community…