Position: Communications and Engagement Intern
Reports to: Director of Communications
Start Date: Fall 2018
The Communications and Engagement Intern will play an integral role in driving the communications,
marketing, and brand engagement priorities of The Opportunity Network forward. The Communications and
Engagement Intern will work closely with the Director of Communications to ensure The Opportunity Network’s
goals of elevating student voice throughout its work and local and national brand growth are being advanced
In close collaboration with the Director of Communications, the Communications and Engagement Intern will
manage core operational and programmatic elements of the organization related to its communications and
marketing efforts. This is an incredible opportunity to experience communications and marketing work in the
nonprofit sector and hone key skills needed for success in that space.
Founded in 2003, The Opportunity Network works with students from historically and systematically
underrepresented communities in developing their skills, knowledge, and passions to achieve their college and
career goals. We honor the identities and embrace the power of each member of our community. OppNet
believes networks of support are essential ingredients for success, so we take an innovative approach by
underscoring the power of personal connections and professional relationships as vital complements to skills,
passions, aptitude, and work experience. Our students thrive in college and careers as they hone personal,
college and career competencies through OppNet’s Career Fluency® programming, including building
networks, mobilizing social capital, increasing career awareness, practicing self-care, excelling in internships,
and making “best fit” college choices through intensive college counseling.
The successful Communications and Engagement Intern is a creative problem solver who understands the
necessity of integrating the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout their work. They thrive in an
organization in the midst of growing its brand footprint because of the opportunities to grow and innovate it
presents. They have experience producing engaging content across a variety of channels. They also
understand the value analytics have in determining marketing strategy. They are interested in refining their
skillset in Adobe Creative Suite, social media management platforms like Sprout Social, and copy-editing. They
have a passion for engaging stakeholders thoughtfully and understand the role certain systems and processes
play in cultivating those relationships.
● Support the operational and programmatic elements of major communications and engagement
activities across the organization.
● Serve as project manager of The Opportunity Network Student Media Ambassador Program
overseeing the program’s key operational and logistical components.
● Assist in the drafting, iteration, and publishing of presentation materials, memorandum, infographics,
pull quotes, and other branded content across a variety of channels.
● Serve as primary OppNet programming and events content archivist by capturing and organizing
content like photography, video, speaker quotes, etc.
● Support the organization’s rebranding process by helping to redesign and catalogue updated
external-facing content alongside the Director of Communications.
● Manage the organization’s social media content collection and publishing process and assist in the
monitoring of the organization’s social presence across its channels.
● Serve as project manager during the organization’s website redesign process.
● Assist in the copy-editing and formatting of various external-facing documents asneeded.
● Operationalize certain systems and processes to support the management and efficiency of various
communications and development efforts for the organization.
● Support the management of organizational content calendar by updating all relevant projects, events,
and external mailings as needed.
● Assist in the research and planning of various marketing and PR efforts surrounding the organization’s
annual high-profile Night of Opportunity Gala.
● Support the Director of Communications and the Director of Development in the content generation,
creation, and dissemination for various communications and donor campaigns.
This position requires your availability for 15-20 hours during the week. The Communications and Engagement
Intern will report to the Director of Communications. The ideal candidate will hold these key assets and
● Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills
● Experience writing for a variety of formats (social media, print, etc.)
● Experience managing parts of the editorial and publishing process at an organization
● Experience in the education or college access sector
● Technical savvy in Adobe Creative Cloud, iLife, Microsoft Office, and other multimedia and
content editing software
● Technical experience in photography, video recording, social media softwaremanagement
● Experience liaising between stakeholders to accomplish a task or project
● Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Detail- and process-oriented
How To Apply
$18-20/hour, depending on experience.
To apply, email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com