Dolphin Research Project, Namibia




Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay


Join a team of dedicated scientists on our Dolphin Research Project in Namibia and enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute to marine research in a beautiful and remote environment. You will gain experience in skills such as taking photo-ID pictures, collecting behavioural data, data input, making acoustic recordings, attending strandings, working with archived skeletal material and small boat skippering.

Interns can join the project for 1 up to 6 month durations.

By joining the team as an intern you will get the opportunity to gain in depth practical training in marine research techniques to study whales, dolphins and turtles. Working closely with principle investigators, interns will gain experience in:

  • Taking photo-ID pictures
  • Collecting behavioural data
  • Data input
  • Making acoustic recordings
  • Shore based tracking of animals
  • Attendance at whale and dolphin strandings
  • Working with archived skeletal material
  • Small boat skippering

Interns will also have the opportunity to join the community outreach programme, visiting local schools to increase marine awareness and education.

For more details regarding pricing, scheduling and arrangements, please visit the main project page -

How To Apply

If you are interested in joining this project, you will need to fill out the online application form (you can also print it out and send it to us by post) – to secure a placement on the project, please complete and submit the form including two references and your deposit of £195. If for some reason, your application is declined, we would reimburse this deposit fully. However for those who are accepted, 25% of the full amount needs to be paid within 10 days of being confirmed on the project, with the remainder (75%) to be paid one month before departure. Once your place is confirmed, you will receive a pre-departure package with all detailed information on your project, suggested items to bring etc.