Jobs Development Specialist VISTA Description
About YouthBuild Charter School
YouthBuild Charter School of California (YCSC) is a public school, chartered by the Inyo County Superintendent of Schools, dedicated to providing an effective alternative education for youth who have not succeeded in traditional school settings. Students come to YCSC to earn a high school diploma and to develop a number of personal skills that will equip them for productive, fulfilling futures. Our approach to education is competency-based; students are guided through a process that results in relevant demonstrations of learning through presentations and projects that demonstrate mastery of state standards. Our instructional strategy is project-based and interdisciplinary, with authentic assessments designed by our teachers.
Our belief in the value of youth as leaders and agents of change in their communities are rooted in the nationally acclaimed YouthBuild program model. Students at YCSC are 16-24 year-old participants in one of several local YouthBuild programs in California. Teachers at YCSC provide students with a classroom-based high school curriculum that values the culture and aspirations of youth while understanding the challenges that students face in under-resourced communities. Currently we provide the education program at 20 YouthBuild programs in California.
Position:The Jobs Development Specialist VISTA will develop partnerships with local employers and create opportunities for students who want to work while going to school. This role will also develop partnerships with local community organizations, companies, and/or universities to create internship opportunities for interested young people. The goal is to allow local YouthBuild programs to ensure that students are receiving exposure to a larger variety of career fields, have opportunities to add to their resumes, and develop the soft skills necessary after their graduation.
Goal: To increase the number of YouthBuild students gaining employment and career opportunities
● Create the foundation of a career development plan
● Conduct labor market analysis- career exploration
● Develop career exploration tools
● Develop or deepen partnerships
● Support with developing job / career fair
● Create an internship / job shadowing program
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Events vents planning experience preferred
● Community partnership building experience preferred
● Willingness to understand the mission and vision of the organization
● Positive attitude
● To qualify for AmeriCorps VISTA, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident.
Term of Service: November 5th, 2018 to November 4th, 2019.
Program Benefits : Training, Relocation Allowance, Health Coverage*, Living Allowance($18,177 annually and $697 biweekly, before taxes), Childcare assistance if eligible, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend($5,920). For more information on benefits use this link: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
How to apply: Send a resume and cover letter to: