Women's Empowerment Coordinator Position in a Beautiful Beach town in Bahia, Brazil
- Internship posted by ETIV do Brasil
Hours per week
25 hours per week/ 4 months time committment necessary
Rua Massaranduba, No. 26
Bairro Passagem, CEP 45530-000
ETIV do Brasil is looking for a Women’s Empowerment Coordinator who will actually take the lead on helping us build and manage a new women's empowerment project from the ground up. The Coordinator will be working with the support of of the Director and/or the Assistant Director, and will receive supervision and trainings at least once every two weeks.
Most likely, the women will be interested in participating in training and skill building activities that will help them earn more money so that they can provide a better living standard for themselves and their families. This may include anything that truly interests them, from arts and crafts like greeting cards, to sewing and creating candles, purses or bags. In addition, this could also include experimenting and making natural products or food items with the women like candles, natural soaps, growing organic lettuces, making natural yogurt, coconut oil and more. We want to be open to support the interests and passions of both the women and our volunteers, but we also want to link some of these projects with our environmental work, ensuring that all the projects we support are also eco-friendly and sustainable. It would be fantastic, for example, to make profitable products out of reused recyclables or natural and sustainable materials.
- To build positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local women to better understand their stories, hopes and concerns for themselves, their families and their community.
- To organize regular meetings with the women (at least twice a month) bringing women together who share similar hopes and concerns and are interested and willing to work together towards positive change.
- To help the women focus on things they can do to positively impact their lives and that of their families and the community, while it is imperative that we help them create goals that are actually obtainable or winnable.
- At least an intermediate level of Portuguese
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6 months time commitment preferred for all coordinators (however we do welcome applications for Women's Empowerment volunteers/interns that can only stay 1-3 months)
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality.
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to connect international volunteers with local communities to support environmental conservation and development in Brazil.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5 months time commitment (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waved. This allows low income students to receive all the benefits of interning with our NGO (including life insurance, a tour of Itacare, an induction to the NGO, training in your project, ongoing supervision and support and 24 hour emergency support) completely free of charge. However, all volunteers and interns are responsible for covering their own food, travel and accommodation expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation. ETIV do Brasil does provide a volunteer house where volunteers and interns can live at a very affordable price.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with our NGO and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We can offer ongoing support and supervision and can help organize taxi pickups, local accommodations and even Capoeira or Portuguese classes. All volunteers and interns will also receive our Pre-Departure Powerpoint, and Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacare and life insurance during their internship at the NGO.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacare is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungle, coconut trees, waterfalls and wildlife abound.
How To Apply
For more information and to apply go to: www.etivdobrasil.org and click the big "apply now" button.