Pulitzer Center General Intern - Spring 2019
- Internship posted by Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
Interns receive a $1,500 stipend per month.
Hours per week
Monday to Friday, 9:30 to 6:00
1779 Massachusetts Ave.
The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting seeks interns throughout the year to help get the word out about our international reporting projects and our educational initiatives.
The Pulitzer Center is an award-winning non-profit journalism organization in the heart of Washington, DC. We support journalists to report on systemic global issues critically important to our understanding of the world but often ignored by mainstream media.
We work to place their stories in high-end outlets, from The Washington Post, Foreign Policy and PRI’s The World, VICE News and NPR, as well as an array of social media.
We also create innovative educational programs to connect students, teachers and the public with the print reporters, photographers, filmmakers, radio documentarians and multimedia journalists who work with us around the world.
Our interns are in the thick of it all: posting content, getting the word out on events, brainstorming on ways to broaden the reach of the journalists’ work. We are a team!
The general intern’s main responsibilities include:
- Build and post stories from our journalist grantees for our newly redesigned website
- Assist with event coordination and participate in events such as Talks @ Pulitzer, film festivals and gallery exhibitions that further promote the work of Pulitzer Center journalist grantees and expand the public's awarness of global affairs
- Support production of multimedia and related media assets of journalists' projects
- Contribute to and maintain our online profiles, social networking sites and channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the YouTube Channel)
- Assist in design and distribution of event flyers and promotional materials
- Write and post blogs related to reporting content, events and news about the Pulitzer Center
Applicants should have an interest in, and familiarity with, current international affairs, and the news media landscape. Excellent copy-editing and design skills a plus, as is competence with Excel.
Not required but desirable: familiarity with HTML, familiarity with strategic influencers who can help draw attention to our reporting, and experience with increasing web traffic through campaigns such as Google Adwords and social networking sites.
Internships average approximately one semester–roughly three to six months–with the possibility of extension.
For more information about our work, please browse through our website and related social media sites. The Pulitzer Center is located near Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C. Easily accessible by public transportation.
How To Apply
How To Apply:
Those interested in applying should email their application materials to jobs[at]pulitzercenter.org
Please include "General Intern" in the subject line and note whether you are applying for a summer, fall, or spring internship.
In your email, tell us where your interests lie and what talents you can bring to the Pulitzer Center. Please include a one-page resume, a brief writing sample of no more than three pages, and a list of three references including their phone numbers or email addresses.