Hours per week
Calle Mayta Capac
Río Seco, El Porvenir
SKIP is a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Education Department
There are over 300 children between the ages of four and eighteen years old currently enrolled in the education programme, which makes it the largest department in SKIP. We aim to maintain an exciting, stimulating and engaging learning environment. Our aim is not to replace the local education system, but rather supplement it. Following a curriculum designed especially for the children at SKIP, we provide classes in subjects such as reading comprehension, Math, English and Computing.
The Sports programme
We have recently developed a structured physical education programme to complement our classroom curriculum for the children at SKIP. This provides an opportunity for students to participate regularly and safely in physical activity and to learn important social and interpersonal skills, contributing to psychological well-being, physical capacity, and the ability to cope with stress. Through this program we aim to foster concentration, better classroom behavior and more focused learning.
Under the supervision of the Education Coordinator, the Sports Leader will lead sports classes three afternoons a week for the primary classes (three classes a day) and a Saturday morning for the secondary classes. The sports coach will work with other volunteers and be responsible for their training and support.
Additional time will then be available to be involved in one of the other programmes that SKIP is running, please see the website for more details on our programmes
Please note, for those with more limited Spanish skills or who are not able to commit to a 6 month stay, you are still able to come and volunteer with SKIP and participate in the sports programme but just not as the Sports Leader.
This role is occupied until the end of 2015 and will become available in Januarty of 2016.
- Interest in sport and physical education
- Intermediate Spanish
- Passion for working with children
- Confidence to deal with disciplinary issues outside on the sports ground
- Minimum 6 month commitment.
- Experience working with children.
- 9 month commitment
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- Accommodation in the volunteer house
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios for all our permanent team on the website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our videos
Or you can read our annual reports