Global Citizenship Education Intern
- Internship posted by World Federation of United Nations Associations
Hours per week
The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global non-profit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations (UN). Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of over 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We work to build a better world by strengthening and improving the UN, through the engagement of people who share a global mindset and support international cooperation – global citizens.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION – GCED INTERN
The GCED Internship is an unpaid full-time position at WFUNA lasting for six months. This person will assist with WFUNA’s GCED program, Mission Possible, and other activities related to GCED at the UN taking place in New York, reporting directly to WFUNA’s GCED Consultant. The purpose of this internship is to provide administrative and programmatic support for Mission Possible in the areas of communications and outreach, curriculum and instructional materials development, fundraising, and monitoring and evaluation.
About Mission Possible:
Mission Possible is WFUNA’s flagship GCED program for high school students. Mission Possible launched in India in 2015, Armenia in 2016, and Singapore in 2017. Mission Possible applies the values, principles, and methods of the UN, as well as WFUNA’s extensive experience in youth development. Throughout the program, students acquire global competencies and 21st century skills, learn about the UN and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and apply their learning through student-led projects to address global issues that have local relevance.
- Contributing to and managing website and social media communications
- Aiding in the development of both online and classroom-based curriculum and instructional materials
- Supporting online platform management and communication
- Assisting with events management and coordination of meetings and logistics related to GCED, Mission Possible and other WFUNA events
- Researching relevant donors, grants and calls for proposals as well as writing and preparing proposals
- Compiling, reviewing and synthesizing program data and writing reports
- Monitoring and sharing GCED-related news and events on a daily basis
- Representing WFUNA at meetings and events, taking notes, and reporting back
- Answering, screening and referring phone calls, greeting visitors
- Preparing the daily news scan shared with all WFUNA staff and interns
- Other tasks related to GCED/Mission Possible or as assigned by responsible staff
The WFUNA Secretariat is located at UN Headquarters in New York. The GCED Intern will have access to the UN building, conferences and events and resources such as the UN Library.
This position offers an excellent networking opportunity – the GCED Intern will be able to make contact with UN staff, diplomats, United Nations Association (UNA) members, academics, and NGOs in the international development community, and meet other interns from around the world who are working at the UN.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural settings and establish efficient and harmonious working relationships
- Understanding of and interest in the work of the UN and the SDGs
- Prior experience in education, nonprofit work, and/or project management
- Experience with and in-depth knowledge of online and project-based learning
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, Excel, Web/Social Media outlets)
- Fluency in English is required (proficiency in additional languages preferred)
- Enthusiastic self-starter
- Self-motivated, energetic and vigilant about staying on tasks, following though, and meeting deadlines
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Ability to be proactive, work independently, and multi-task effectively
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strategic, creative, and progressive
Application Instructions Available at: www.wfuna.org/intern
Monthly travel stipend is provided.