Hours per week
20 hours/week minimum
District of Columbia
Position Title: Latin America & Caribbean (LAC) Region Intern
Position Type: Part-Time (20 hours/week minimum commitment); unpaid
Start and End Dates: January 14-May 3, 2019 (dates are flexible and pending availability, quarter students may also apply)
PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 19 independent, local Centers around the world.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The PartnersGlobal team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as rule of law, women’s empowerment, human rights, security sector reform, and natural resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for undertaking cutting edge work and applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties to jointly tackle some of the most complex development challenges.
We are looking for an energetic and committed individual to join us as a LAC Intern, working closely with the Latin America and Caribbean team to assist with programmatic support, proposal development, and communications and outreach. PartnersGlobal is a vibrant organization that allows interns a hands-on, valuable opportunity to gain exposure to an international nonprofit working in the field of democracy-building and conflict management. We are committed to fostering a dynamic learning and professional development atmosphere and will offer mentoring and guidance throughout your time with us. The LAC team works collaboratively and dynamically and is looking forward to providing professional development and mentorship to a new team-member so that he or she can develop valuable, marketable skills in research, program management, and business development.
Learning opportunities include:
- Refine your research, analysis, and writing skills by supporting the team as they implement a conflict resolution project in Guatemala.
- Strengthen your strategic communications and outreach skills and knowledge by supporting the team in drafting and editing communication pieces and blogpost writing;
- Complete independent research projects that will help the team identify and track opportunities to grow the LAC portfolio, including fee-for-service and other non-USG opportunities;
- Develop leadership and practical skills through coordinating events and roundtable discussions;
- Learn about the business development process from pre-proposal forecasting and capture, to proposal-writing and budgeting, to final award negotiation. Improve your writing, research, and financial skills as you assist with all aspects of this process
- General mentorship and work opportunities with the LAC team and wider Partners staff of process and thematic experts both in Washington, DC and throughout the LAC region. Specific opportunities include attending meetings with donors and partners, assisting the team with brainstorming and strategic planning for current and potential activities, and providing logistical and research report to members of the LAC team
- Networking opportunities as you represent Partners at LAC-related events around the District
Qualifications: The ideal prospective candidate is a graduate student or recent college graduate with demonstrated interest, work experience, and/or academic study in the LAC region, conflict resolution, communications, and/or democratic governance (highly qualified undergraduates will also be considered); exceptional English language, research, writing, and editing skills; full professional proficiency in Spanish; computer proficiency and a passion for getting organized; excellent interpersonal skills; and a desire to learn.
How To Apply
To Apply: Please email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (maximum 1,000 words) to email@example.com by December 2, 2018. Remember to indicate that you are applying for the position of LAC Intern in the email subject line. No phone calls please. We will contact applicants directly for an interview or to request additional information.
Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.