Hours per week
10-15 hours/ week
1875 Connecticut Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
The Akilah Foundation is a US 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose purpose is to support global education and related campuses, infrastructure, curricula and programs. Since inception, Akilah Foundation has supported the Akilah Institute, a pioneer in innovative and affordable education products that prepare students with today’s most in-demand skills and ensure a seamless transition into their careers.
The Akilah Institute is the only women’s college in Rwanda. The Institute’s competency-based, careers-focused education model has an 88% job placement rate. The Institute currently offers diploma programs in Entrepreneurship, Hospitality Management and Information Systems - all high-growth sectors in East Africa. The Institute is poised for rapid and exciting growth over the coming five years with plans to open a new campus in Uganda and a co-ed University in Rwanda, along with other innovative education products.
The Development Intern is not required to have fundraising experience, but a general interest in fundraising for a non-profit is desirable. We are looking for an intern who can work 10-15 hours per week through the Fall, with the opportunity to extend through the Spring, depending on fit and interest.
The Development Intern will support the U.S. team in all fundraising and operational efforts. Our office is located in Washington, DC
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize fundraising prospects list and documentation systems;
-Research possible funding and grant opportunities, as well as potential donors;
-Support donor cultivation – assisting with managing and tracking relationships with current and prospective donors, setting up donor meetings, drafting thank you notes and follow-ups;
-Help to support and successfully execute fundraising strategies, activities, and events;
-Assist with the development of fundraising materials;
-Track past and current fundraising activity on Salesforce;
-Assist with unique marketing and communications materials to drive engagement with new and existing donors and partners; and
-Other development and operational activities as directed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Great computer skills;
- Access to a laptop for use throughout internship;
- Ability to prioritize workload; and
- Copy editing skills
- Professional development opportunities
- Exposure to the inner-workings of a rapidly growing international nonprofit
- Flexible schedule
- This is an unpaid position.
- The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the internship position, and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Project Akilah, Inc. may change the specific duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
- Project Akilah, Inc. is an equal opportunity organization and offers opportunities to qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap, disability, or any other protected class per federal, state or local law.
- Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 26, 2018. The subject of your e-mail should be in this format: "[Your first and last name] Akilah 2018 Fall Internship Application"