Hours per week
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
Since 2003, SKIP has been working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
There are over 300 children between the ages of four and eighteen years old currently enrolled in the education programme, which makes it the largest department in SKIP. We aim to maintain an exciting, stimulating and engaging learning environment. Our aim is not to replace the local education system, but rather supplement it. Following a curriculum designed especially for the children at SKIP, we provide classes in subjects such as reading comprehension, Math and Computing.
Creative Arts Programme
The SKIP art programme involves nine primary groups between the ages of 5 and 13 years and two or three secondary groups between 13 and 17 and for many of the participants these classes are the first exposure to art. The lessons taught to primary focus on basic skills and concepts of art. The secondary groups work in a collaborative manner with the arts teacher on concepts such as ownership of work, community arts, and personal development through art, dance, theater and textiles.
Working under the guidance of the Creative Arts Coordinator, volunteers will support the creation, delivery and evaluation of the art and drama classes. Together they will:
- Source all materials needed
- Write project proposals
- Creatively deliver all the objectives in the curriculum
- Add to and develop the curriculum
- Deliver classes/projects that are relevant to the students' lives, community, country and beliefs
- Plan lessons in advance
- Deliver each lesson
- Evaluate participants' progress and each project
- At times coordinate a team and attend weekly meetings as well as take part in training sessions
- Work within a very tight budget.
- Minimum commitment: six weeks
- Experience working with children
- Knowledge/background in art
- Good documentation skills
- Basic Spanish
- Fluency in Spanish
- Understanding of child development in relation to artistic capability
- Experience working within a restricted budget
The benefits of collaborating with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios on all our permanent team on the website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmacion of volunteer service
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our video
Or find out more by reading our annual reports
You can also find out more information on our website: www.skipperu.org
How To Apply
If you are ready to apply, you can download the application form
You may also wish to send us your CV.
Please send your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email if you have any questions.