Development/Event Planning, Database/Salesforce & General Admin Internships
- Internship posted by Christodora - Manice Education Center
Travel reimb up to $200. We are also happy to support you getting school credits.
Hours per week
One E. 53rd Street
Christodora: Nature Learning Leadership helps motivated students from underserved backgrounds to grow, thrive and develop 21st-century skills through environmental education, ecological stewardship, wilderness immersion and leadership development. Christodora's mission is to encourage the positive educational and developmental growth of New York City's youth through stimulating educational and challenging outdoor programs.
We engage over 2,500 students each year:
- in the classroom (teaching a 7-week environmental science curriculum in 20 public schools in NYC)
- throughout the city (in weekend urban ecology programs, primarily at the New York Botanical Garden and Governors Island)
- at our own wilderness camp in the Berkshires (Florida, MA)
- with distinguished partners (including NOLS and the Yale School of Forestry camp.)
Christodora has internships available year-round and we are hiring immediately for Summer 2018 and beyond. We are committed to creating an excellent professional/educational experience in the areas of environmental education, nonprofit strategy and management, event planning, database administration and Development. We are looking for smart people who want to roll up their sleeves, sharpen their skills and learn. Enthusiasm, follow-through, attention to detail and an ability to work well with a variety of people are required. Excellent writing skills strongly preferred.
Interns have the ability to work in one or several of the below areas depending on interests and aptitudes.
Time: Hours can vary; schedules will be mutually agreed upon. Some weekend availability strongly preferred for assistance with programs on Governors Island.
Deadline for intern applications: Rolling
Development: Fundraising & Event Planning:
Learn about donor cultivation and the intricacies of event planning for the "Christodora Campfire", our autumn gala and largest fundraiser of the year, with approximately 300 guests!
- Research and procure items for silent and live auction, including: outreach to vendors/donors, follow-up with benefit committee, maintaining auction tracking spreadsheet, creating display boards
- Help us expand our outreach and research/follow up on opportunities for individual and institutional giving: research contact information and potential sponsors, honorees and donors
- Manage mailing lists: follow-up with committee members and update addresses, organize email addresses for electronic communications, organize addresses for save-the-dates and benefit invitations
- Assist with thank-you letters and other correspondence
- Track donations coming into the organization and analyze giving history
- Help with gala program and other marketing communications materials
This internship involves excellent writing and communication skills, attention to detail, database maintenance and other general administrative duties.
This intern will have the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of Salesforce, the powerful cloud computing tool, as you help Christodora to organize student and donor data. Some experience with Salesforce is preferred but not essential as long as you have a strong grasp of computer usage, are a systems thinker, enjoy manipulating data and are serious about learning.
It is essential that this intern have a high level of attention to detail and accuracy. Some of our database interns have gone on to find employment with skills learned about the Salesforce platform.
Christodora also works continually to define the Outcomes of its programs and to develop metrics to allow us to track those outcomes. The IT intern may help with compiling and analyzing program evaluation information.
Excellent Microsoft Excel skills required.
Time: At least 3 days/week, start/end dates flexible
Start Date: May 18 preferred for summer interns; rolling applications also accepted
End Date: Open-ended
Deadline for intern applications: Rolling
Candidates: Undergraduate or graduate students and recent graduates.
General Program & Administrative Support:
We are a small non-profit that accomplishes a lot for our students so we all wear many hats! All interns have the opportunity to learn about the following areas and assist as appropriate.
- Help with logistics of weekend programs on Governors Island with Christodora students and the general public
- Assist with website and social media marketing
- Includes participating in ecology and team-building activities with our students
- Assist with camp registrations and on departure and return days
- General: phone coverage, processing student paperwork, special projects
Christodora is an equal opportunity internship site and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Christodora does not discriminate against any intern or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Transportation stipend provided.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and personalized cover letter to Tim Schroeder at email@example.com with "Internship" in the subject line. Please include your areas of interest in your cover letter.
IMPORTANT: Please paste your cover letter into the body of the email rather than attaching a separate document.