Hours per week
Summer Internship: 40 hrs/wk from May/June - August -- Fall Internship: Hours and days are flexible with 15 - 20 hours expected per week from September - December.
2000 N. 14th Street
The Hire Autism program seeks an intern to assist the Manager, Hire Autism Outreach, and the Hire Autism Associate in promoting and advancing Hire Autism, the adult employment initiative, in the last phase of the Demonstration Project in Northern Virginia. Hire Autism, a program initiative from the Organization for Autism Research, is founded on the core belief that persons with autism are capable of working in a variety of jobs and work settings. It is built around an online jobs portal, www.hireautism.org, expressly designed for ease of access and use by persons with autism. Within the context of the website, jobseekers with autism can engage with employers willing to hire them in an autism-friendly, online setting.
The selected candidate will help in the following areas:
• Maintain and sort jobseekers’ and employers’ information collected from the Hire Autism website
• Initiate communications with jobseekers
• Send out potential employer partners
• Follow up with job seekers and employers
• Help with social media messages and the Hire Autism blog
• Help produce and refine a Hire Autism User’s Guide to support expansion
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Competency using Microsoft Office
• Highly organized and versatile
• Able to multi-task
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a small, dynamic team
Other Desired Qualifications:
• Direct or indirect experience with people with autism
• Energetic self-starter
• Strong sense of advocacy and desire to serve
• Inclination towards sales and marketing
Interns are treated as staff members for the duration of their experience. They complete meaningful projects, have their own work spaces, attend meetings, offer insight when appropriate, and maintain a high level of professionalism. Interns receive supervision from their departmental supervisor and have regular contact with the staff.
Summer internships typically start in May or early June and end in August. Summer interns generally work 40 hours per week. Fall internships typically start early September and end in mid-December. During the academic semesters, interns are expected to work 15 to 20 hours per week. Days and hours are flexible to accommodate class schedules. Start/End dates listed here are flexible.
The OAR office is located within short walking distance of the Court House Metro station (orange line) in Arlington, Va. Interns must arrange their own housing and travel to and from the office.
OAR offers a modest stipend ($7.25/hour) and class credit pending school approval.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. The cover letter should explain why you are interested in an intern position with the Hire Autism program, what you hope to accomplish, and your qualifications. Please e-mail all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (please put the desired semester in the subject line).