675 Massachusetts Avenue
The Scholars Strategy Network (SSN) is looking for a Civic Engagement Intern. The intern will be responsible for supporting the civic engagement work managed by SSN’s policy team to connect scholars and their research, teaching, and service to civic learning and democratic engagement initiatives.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARS STRATEGY NETWORK
The Scholars Strategy Network is a one-stop resource that connects journalists, policymakers, and civic leaders to America’s top scholars and their research. Together they inform news and help solve the nation’s toughest policy problems. Across the country, chapters and scholars volunteer their research, time, and energy. Scholars join the network to become part of a community of leading researchers who are dedicated to improving policy and strengthening democracy. Through the network, journalists, policymakers, and civic leaders connect with scholars and jargon-free research to support their work.
As Civic Engagement Intern, you will work with the policy team to fulfill SSN’s mission of connecting policymakers, civic leaders, and other practitioners with scholars to improve policy and strengthen democracy. In particular, you will focus on SSN’s civic engagement work engaging scholars as stakeholders on their respective campuses guiding institutional policy on civic learning and democratic engagement. These responsibilities will include, amongst others:
- Develop a tracking system for SSN member participation in civic engagement initiatives across teaching, research, and institutional planning
- Track best practices in student civic learning and democratic engagement interventions by faculty on campuses across the country
- Help mobilize SSN members on key issues, such as civic learning, political engagement, democratic engagement, and institutional planning
- Support chapter efforts at civic learning and democratic engagement
- Track SSN’s civic engagement activities in the SSN database
The ideal candidate for this position would be:
- A graduate student, advanced undergraduate student, or have equivalent experience
- Committed to SSN’s Mission
- Familiar with, and eager to learn about, civic learning and democratic engagement, strategic planning, and higher education
- Self-motivated, professional, positive, and trustworthy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Dropbox, and Content Databases
- Able to move among tasks and manage task follow-up
- An excellent writer and proofreader
- Proficient in translating complex research and concepts into easy-to-understand language
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Able to learn and apply new skills
This position is paid and requires a commitment of 15-20 hours per week. Additional hours may become available. Salary is $15 to $20 per hour, based on qualifications and experience. SSN’s offices are in Central Square, at 675 Massachusetts Avenue 8th Floor, Cambridge, MA 02139. Hours are somewhat flexible. The preferred start date for this position is June 4, 2018.
How To Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and names and contact information of two references to Kelsie George at email@example.com with the subject line “SSN Civic Engagement Intern - [Your Name]”. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. SSN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women are encouraged to apply.