Hours per week
12-20 hours per week
The Transverse Myelitis Association is seeking to hire a part-time Research and Education Intern.
The Transverse Myelitis Association (TMA) is a non-profit international foundation that advocates and supports through education, networking, and research those affected by the following family of diseases: transverse myelitis (TM) including acute flaccid myelitis (AFM), MOG antibody-associated disease, neuromyelitis optica (NMO), optic neuritis (ON) and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Its stakeholders include patients and their families/friends, clinicians, scientists, medical professionals, supporters and related interested organizations. Our goal is to improve the quality of life of individuals and families living with these rare neuro-immune disorders.
The TMA is an information resource on rare neuro-immune disorders for our community through our website, newsletters, blogs, Ask The Expert Podcast Series, educational events such as camp, symposia and workshops for the exchange of current and up-to-date information regarding the diagnosis, treatment and management of these disorders. We offer a support network between persons with these disorders through local support groups located throughout the world and through our partnership with Smart Patients, while also organizing annual quality of life programs such as family camps for children with these disorders and their families. We support the post-residency training of clinicians committed to careers in academic medicine specializing in these disorders, provide grant support to academic Centers of Excellence and fund novel pilot research ideas.
The Research and Education Intern will contribute meaningfully to the delivery of our mission by providing support for our research and education programs.
· Conduct literature reviews
· Collect and analyze data
· Conduct interviews with study participants
· Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
· Assist with sampling design and study implementation
· Assist with data preparation and analysis
· Prepare reports and summaries of research findings
· Assist with drafting patient education information sheets
· Provide administrative support to the TMA staff as needed
· Other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree required, current graduate student in public health preferred
· Research experience preferred
· Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail, the ability to multi‐task, prioritize and meet deadlines, and thrive in a small, dynamic organization with an ambitious agenda
· Must be self-disciplined, driven, creative, proactive, able to demonstrate initiative, able to maintain confidentiality, persistent, and personable
· Ability to work well within a team environment that largely exists virtually
· Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism, including dealing with sensitive and proprietary patient information
· Good writing, communication, and editing skills
· Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing
· Computer literacy: Excel, PowerPoint, Word.
· Familiarity with online survey, scheduling, and collaboration platforms, such as SurveyMonkey, Doodle, and Google Docs
· Reports to the Associate Director, Research and Education
· Members of The TMA community are encouraged to apply
· Location is where the Research and Education Intern is based