333 East 47th Street
Japan Society is sponsoring a 10-week summer intern program from Monday, June 4th through Thursday, August 9th, 2018 for college and graduate students as well as recent graduates. The program offers part-time unpaid internships that provide a wide range of opportunities for participants to learn about non-profit administration in a cultural institution, obtain job market skills and experience, and gain an appreciation of Japanese history, arts and culture.
Japan Society's Media and Marketing department seeks a part-time summer intern to assist with Japanese-language communications efforts, including publicity/press, researching new publicity opportunities, assisting with promotional materials, and other administrative duties. The intern will be able to attend Japan Society events, and will benefit from learning about the process of media publication, promotion and advertisements.
- Assist drafting publicity materials (press releases, pitches, photo tips), and outreach to press
- Contribute to Japan Society's blog and social media sites
- Attend events and provide assistance for press check-in
- Maintain press database and construct press kits
- Research publicity, promotion and advertisement opportunities
- Distribute promotional materials
- Perform administrative duties, including data entry, filing, photocopying, etc.
- Fluency in Japanese required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat (PDF).
- Interest in Japanese culture preferred
- Knowledge of social media (YouTube, Facebook, twitter, etc.)
- Attention to detail with ability to multi-task
- Motivated self-starter and strong communication skills
Dates of Summer Internship & Time Commitment:
- June 4th-August 9th, 2018
- 2 or 3 days a week
- Gain first-hand knowledge and experience in distributing and promoting publicity for an international non-profit organization
- Understand the process of creating publicity and press materials
- Opportunity to attend and assist in Japan Society’s press events
- Work in a friendly environment with skilled employees and fellow interns
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Japanese Communications Intern” in email subject line.
While internships are unpaid, Japan Society values its interns and provides the following benefits:
- Free or reduced-priced admission to Japan Society programs;
- Free admission for intern and guest to New York City museums;
- In-service training workshops for interns.
Japan Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and welcomes a diverse workforce.
Founded in 1907, Japan Society in New York City presents sophisticated, topical and accessible experiences of Japanese art and culture, and facilitates the exchange of ideas, knowledge and innovation between the U.S. and Japan. More than 200 events annually encompass world-class exhibitions, dynamic classical and cutting-edge contemporary performing arts, film premieres and retrospectives, workshops and demonstrations, tastings, family activities, language classes, and a range of high-profile talks and expert panels that present open, critical dialogue on issues of vital importance to the U.S., Japan and East Asia. For more information, visit our website, http://www.japansociety.org.