$650/semi-monthly taxable living allowance ($13,732 annual allowance)
Hours per week
Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2018- July 2019)
51 Sleeper Street
Location: Lynn, MA and Salem, MA
About AmeriCorps and the North Shore AmeriCorps Program:
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The North Shore AmeriCorps Program is an innovative young program that places 25 AmeriCorps members in schools and nonprofit organizations throughout Lynn and Salem, MA, to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among English Language Learners through strategic tutoring and mentoring programs. AmeriCorps members serve with their host sites, either in a school or a community based nonprofit that provides services to young people. Members provide structured tutoring and mentoring supports to English Language Learners, helping them succeed academically and socially in the community. Youth typically range in age from 8-17, depending on the site. Members complete eleven months of service, from September 2018 to July 2019. Collectively, the service of the AmeriCorps members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English language learners and their families.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is advancing the common good in our region by providing help today in ways that strengthen tomorrow. Our work ensures that children are ready to learn when they enter school, stay engaged in learning and graduate able to compete, and are nurtured by families that have the financial stability to support both their basic needs and future success. No other single organization has the scope, expertise and influence, to bring together hundreds of human services agencies, government, businesses, private foundations and dedicated volunteers around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting results.
AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2018- July 2019)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and their development
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven leadership and project management abilities
- A strong passion for national and community service
- The desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- $650/semi-monthly taxable living allowance ($13,732 annual allowance)
- $5,920 Segal Education Award upon completion of service
- Paid health and dental insurance
- Uniform parts
- YMCA Membership (for the year)
- Training and networking opportunities among a core groups of Corps members and other non profit professionals.
- Access to the United Way network for resources after service is complete
- Lynn: 7 positions in schools available, 8 positions available in community based nonprofits
- Salem: 7 positions in schools available, 3 positions available in community based nonprofits
AmeriCorps Member Selection Timeline:
Application deadline is August 1, 2018. Applicants will be notified as applications are reviewed.
August 30th, 2018 (Optional) Paperwork day for incoming corps members at United Way office in Boston
September 4th, 2018 Full time training and orientation for AmeriCorps members begin
September 17th, 2018 AmeriCorps members begin full time service at sites
How To Apply
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE AMERICORPS POSITIONS AVAILABLE AT EACH SITE LISTED ABOVE AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT:
For more information about the North Shore AmeriCorps Program and general information about the AmeriCorps positions, please contact:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the community it serves.