Hours per week
September - December 2018
40 Rector Street
About BBBS of NYC: Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC is the nation’s oldest and New York City’s largest youth mentoring organization, and has served as a model for one-to-one mentoring across the nation since 1904. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity in NYC with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1 to 1 mentoring relationships with adults that change their lives for the better, forever. We partner with families, volunteers, organizations and the community to inspire positive change in all.
Primary Purpose: Joining BBBS of NYC as the Special Events Intern is a great opportunity to gain valuable non-profit event planning experience. As a member of the events team, the intern will have the opportunity to play a key role in event production and engagement strategy on amazing events such as a GridIron Games at MetLife Stadium, ping pong tournament, casino night, gala, cocktail receptions, and 5K walk.
At the end of this internship, the Special Events Intern will have working knowledge of key event skills, including developing production timelines, planning processes, budgeting, and community outreach which he/she will be able to translate into future career opportunities.
The Special Events Intern reports to the Director of Special Events. The ideal candidate will be someone who is looking to gain college credit for their work. The intern will receive necessary training and staff supervision. We require a commitment of 14-20 hours/week from October - December 2018.
- Assist with event logistics and work closely with Director of Special Events and Senior Special Events Manager
- Have a key role in providing research for outreach and record keeping for donor and volunteer engagement
- Provide integral support to event sponsors to coordinate collateral fulfillment
- Assist with research and outreach for in-kind donations
- Be involved with creative brainstorming on how best to utilize and capitalize on social media platforms
- Provide administrative support and perform other job-related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous event planning and fundraising experience a plus, not a must
- Superior organizational and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Excellent public relations and customer service skills in dealing with internal and external constituents
- Must enjoy working as a member of a team with an attitude of "pitch-in", and "no-job-is-too-small", on multiple projects and handle pressure with grace
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and strong internet skills required
- Raiser's Edge and Convio experience a plus, not a must
Standard office setting. Some heavy lifting (30lbs) required. Evening and weekend work required around event dates.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include "Special Events Intern" in the subject line.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability with respect to employment opportunities. EO/AA Employer. No phone calls please.