Hours per week
For the winter/spring season, we ask for a commitment of three to four days per week (within normal business hours of 10am to 6pm).
10012 - 3225
PEN America’s Public Programs department seeks diligent, organized interns to assist with the planning and production of our Spring 2019 programming season.
Interns will gain exposure to New York’s vibrant cultural landscape through program development and regular communication with PEN America’s literary affiliates. They will receive hands-on administrative experience and learn the operational details of executing literary and human rights public events at venues across New York City. Additionally, interns are encouraged to attend and volunteer for PEN America’s public programs in the New York City area.
Interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
• Planning, developing, and implementing programs for a diverse audience including, but not limited to: author talks, performances, panels, and special projects.
• Supporting PEN America’s Public Programs team with program research, and drafting invites and e-blasts.
• Creating marketing materials for upcoming programs, such as website text, flyers, and drafting social media messaging and images.
• Assisting with outreach for upcoming public programs and with day-of-event coordination.
• Working with Public Programs staff on post-event follow-up.
The Ideal Candidate:
• Has excellent communication, writing, and research skills.
• Is organized and excellent with follow-through on all assigned tasks.
• Works at a steady pace and independently as well as in a group.
• Is willing to manage a range of administrative tasks, such as managing an email inbox, maintaining program analytics, and more.
• Is very comfortable working with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive; any experience with MailChimp or photo editing software is strongly preferred.
• Has a demonstrated interest in literature, cultural programming, and human rights.
This is an unpaid position. Interns who work more than 15 hours per week are eligible for a local travel stipend. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Lily Philpott, PEN America’s Public Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Public Programs Internship.”