Hours per week
15 hours a week (remote and on your own schedule for the most part)
Key Duties + Responsibilities
As the Communications Intern, you will work closely with our Communications and Social Media Coordinator as well as more senior members of the team. You will be responsible for:
- Managing SAHR’s website and social media channels; including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. This includes creating and coordinating relevant content.
- Researching and writing content for SAHR’s blog;
- Assisting in writing and disseminating all communications materials such as the newsletter, news briefs and press releases.
- Supporting the team leadership as required. This includes drafting, designing and disseminating reports and critical pieces.
- General communications and thought leadership coordination duties such as developing and maintaining a communications planner;
- Proofreading and editing information, publications and articles and organise distribution of these through relevant channels;
- Other ad hoc duties as required.
Required Skills + Competencies
- Current undergraduate or graduate student or recent graduate with a major in Political Science, Law, International Relations, Gender Studies, International Development or a related field.
- Experience using social media and the ability to learn quickly - experience managing social media accounts for an orgaization will be an asset;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Fluent in English;
- General knowledge of the history of human rights frameworks, particularly as they pertain to the rights of women and girls;
- General knowledge of theories, concepts, or ideas in intersectional feminism, and postcolonial and transnational feminism;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong proofreading and editing skills; and
- Experience working and/or volunteering at non-for-profits or start-ups (prior internship experience is acceptable).
This is an unpaid position for an initial period of 6 months with the possibility of extension. SAHR is a volunteer-led organization which values its people; we trust our interns and welcome creativity and transparency. We are looking for someone that is a self-starter and will see this as an opportunity to demonstrate their analytical skills, competencies, and sense of responsibility.
In return, we offer you a friendly environment where you will have the opportunity to really shape the thought processes of our social media platform, throughout the internship. At the end of this internship you will have gained experience at a small and dynamic non-for-profit, coordination skills, desk-research skills as well as a deep understanding of social media strategy and a developing knowledge of the complexities of the social injustice confronting women and girls. In this role, you will also gain demonstrable experience managing social media and a website in addition to general administration skills.
The position will be home-based with flexible hours. Ideally, the Intern will be based in New York and available for occasional face-to-face meetings with the Director of Communications, but applicants living outside the area will also be considered. We do expect a minimum commitment of 15 hours a week. The position is for an immediate start and the notice period will be 2 weeks.
How To Apply
Please email your CV, cover letter (maximum 2 pages long) and writing sample (ideally a blog, social media plan or something else similar) to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018. Please note, we will interview candidates on a rolling basis until this date.