GPPAC Content Editor Internship
- Internship posted by Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict
Laan van Meerdervoort 70
Starting date 09 April 2018
Duration 4 months (4 days a week)
Location GPPAC Foundation in The Hague, the Netherlands
Deadline 23 March 2018
Please note that the position is unpaid. We will provide EUR 150 per month to cover expenses.
The GPPAC Foundation is a non-governmental organisation that promotes conflict prevention and peacebuilding strategies and supports and connects people working for peace worldwide. It is the Global Secretariat of the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC), a network of civil society organisations working in this field. See: www.gppac.net
We facilitate connections between network members for learning and knowledge exchange, and we work to make sure that the voices of local civil society organisations are heard in national and international policy arenas.
GPPAC seeks to build a new international consensus on the way in which we approach violent conflict, calling for a fundamental change: a shift from reaction to prevention.
About the GPPAC Internship Programme
Interns are invaluable to GPPAC, as they support our programmes with a great deal of enthusiasm and dedication. In turn, we aim to provide our interns with a useful learning experience for professional development. In addition to on-the-job learning about the programme they intern with, interns will gain an overview of the workings of our organisation and network as a whole. We also provide a series of short workshops over the duration of the internship, on topics ranging from the theoretical (how to analyse a conflict) to the practical (how to develop a project budget).
Each intern, together with their supervisor, sets personal learning goals, which are monitored throughout the internship.
Communication and Information Management
The Communication and Information Management (CIM) team is responsible for the external communication of GPPAC. This includes several functions like the development and implementation of communication strategies, producing timely content, implementing and maintaining online services to network members. Another task of the team is to manage the internal IT processes.
The main goals of the internship position are to:
- Help create visibility of GPPAC Foundation.
- Support GPPAC’s external communications.
- Demystify conflict prevention.
The tasks of the this internship include, amongst others:
1 Put conflict prevention on the map (with a specific GPPAC angle)
- Further develop the conflict prevention guide -which is meant to explain why and how conflict prevention is done
- Develop a one-pager on ‘what is conflict prevention’
- Develop (ideas for) visuals (including infographics)
- Develop messages related to conflict prevention.
- Research latest conflict prevention developments and keep the information up to date.
2 Support external communications around GPPAC activities
- GPPAC International Steering Group Meeting and other GPPAC events.
- Support content management of GPPAC websites.
- UN activities.
3 Weekly monitor and track recent developments related to conflict prevention and peacebuilding
4 Support content development around GPPAC programmes and themes
- Develop one pagers for donors on specific themes and regions (such as human security, the SDGs -Sustainable Development Goals, dialogue and mediation, etc.)
- Develop other communication materials for publications, events, etc
- Content development of external communications (for instance draft articles, blogs and videos)
5 Update Peace Portal websites
6 General task(s)
- Some general office support, beyond the above-mentioned tasks, on request (daily organisational tasks will be kept to a minimum).
- Educational background in peace and conflict studies, international relations, political science or a related field.
- Affinity with digital communications, such as website/content management and social media.
- Familiarity and understanding of the civil society sector.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, knowledge of other languages a strong advantage.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of graphic/multimedia design (Photoshop and Illustrator) is a strong advantage.
- Strong organisational skills, ability to manage assigned tasks and work with deadlines.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills.
- Proactive, able to work independently, problem-solving and showing initiative.
- Systematic, meticulous eye for detail.
How To Apply
Please send an email with your CV, a cover letter explaining your motivation and how you fit the requirements, a writing sample (can be an essay, article, etc.) and preferably also a graphic design sample (e.g. a flyer) to Vicky Carreras, v.carreras[at]gppac.net with just Internship CIM in the subject line. The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday 23 March at 12 PM Netherlands time. We will only consider complete applications.
Interviews will take place in the week of 26 March. We normally receive a considerable amount of applications for internships and we therefore only contact shortlisted candidates. For progress in the recruitment process, please consult our website http://www.gppac.net/work-with-us.