Internship Position -- Immediately Available!
- Internship posted by Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts
$2,000 from now through June 30
Hours per week
20 to 40 hours/week
8 Faneuil Hall Marketplace (North Market)
Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts (LVM) believes in the power of literacy to transform lives and communities. Since 1972, LVM has trained volunteer tutors to provide free, confidential and individualized tutoring to help adult students gain basic reading and writing or English speaking skills and prepare to face life’s challenges with enhanced skills and confidence. LVM is the leading volunteer literacy organization in the state, serving more than 1,000 adults each year through its statewide network of 12 local affiliate programs.
LVM conducts rigorous 18 hour trainings in both basic literacy and ESOL tutoring to prepare tutors to work with students. Each volunteer tutor works on a one-to-one basis with one adult student. After matching tutors, LVM’s professional staff provides ongoing support to tutors and students. This support includes e-newsletters, in-service trainings and other professional development opportunities, special recognition and social events, a reference and lending library, social media, and regular individualized personal assistance.
The intern helps to provide important support for LVM-Boston’s year-end activities, including re-assessing students, maintaining ongoing tutor recruitment activities, and organizing tutor and student in-service programming. The LVM-Boston team also values creativity and flexibility, and would be excited to collaborate with an intern who wants to bring his or her unique experience and interests for other initiatives that will benefit the LVM-Boston program.
The position will be 20-40 hours per week depending on the candidate’s availability. There is a $2,000 stipend total available now through June 30. Continuation of the position after June 30 is dependent on state appropriation for fiscal year 2019 beginning on July 1.
The intern will work at LVM’s headquarters in historic Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston.
The position is open immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Assist in re-assessing basic literacy students using standardized assessments which must be conducted in May and June. Training will be provided.
- Help staff respond to inquiries from prospective volunteers and students, field incoming telephone calls, and greet visitors to the office.
- Help staff plan and coordinate in-service workshops and other program events, including a tutor/student spring gathering
- Help recruit volunteer tutors through personal community outreach, social media and cultivating relationships with community organizations, businesses, and local news outlets.
- Maintain updated LVM information on various volunteer websites.
- Implement LVM Student Satisfaction Survey to research effectiveness of instruction and support for LVM-Boston participants at year-end (if funding for position is renewed for July 1).
- Participate in other projects and develop other initiatives.
1. Genuine interest in promoting adult literacy and sensitivity to the struggles of adult learners.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups of people.
4. Excellent judgment and discretion with confidential information.
5. Excellent computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, internet research). Social media skills desirable.
6. Ability to be self-motivated and work independently as well as working as part of a staff team.
7. Demonstrated reliability, professional work habits, and flexibility.
This position is an opportunity to gain interesting, relevant and varied experience and take the lead on some initiatives while working with a welcoming and professional team at the state's leading volunteer literacy organization for adults.Come join us!