Hours per week
Jalan Batu Maung, Batu Maung,
Sustainable food systems are imperative to feeding the global population, and these systems are of particular importance among the poor. Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, is a country where 70% of the population are farmers, but many suffer from food insecurity. Improved aquaculture has the potential to both increase household incomes, and improve nutrition, however a greater understanding of patterns of fish consumption and current aquacultural practices are needed.
The objectives of this internship are to work with the nutrition team to produce a report on the state of fish and aquaculture in current food systems in Nigeria, and to describe the potential impact on health and nutrition outcomes among vulnerable populations. The report will be based on current publications and secondary data. In addition, the intern will gain knowledge about the interdisciplinary projects currently underway at WorldFish, and he or she may be asked to assist with other nutrition-specific projects.
Scope of Work
- Review relevant literature on agriculture, nutrition, and food security in sub-Saharan Africa, with a focus on reports published on data from Nigeria.
- Compile a report, together with the nutrition team, for a global audience of practitioners and academics on the state of aquaculture, nutrition, and food security in Nigeria.
- Assist with promotion the findings.
- Assist the nutrition team with the planning, implementation, and monitoring phases of other projects as needed.
- Bachelor of Science or Master's Degree in nutrition, agriculture, or related field.
- Basic understanding about aquaculture; good understanding about the role of fish for human nutrition.
- Experience in research design and qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in data analysis.
- Strong organizational skills.
- This position is an excellent opportunity to gain information and experience with an international research organization.
- The intern will also get the chance to interact and collaborate with staff on other projects.
- A monthly stipend up to max USD 1,000, a return ticket, and medical insurance shall be provided
This position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. The successful candidate should be available to commence the internship as soon as possible, for a period of 3 months. This position is open to National and International applicants.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience are valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
The application process is rolling. Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online here by 15 May 2018:
- A cover letter stating why you are interested in and well-suited to the position. Your cover letter should also demonstrate what you hope to gain from this internship.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contact details (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees should ideally be people from each of the following categories: direct supervisor, peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be asked to complete a short writing test. Applicants to the previously advertised version of this position need not apply.