Hours per week
1367 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Promundo-US, an international non-governmental organization working to promote gender equality and violence prevention, seeks a paid, part-time Publications and EditorialIntern to work in its Washington, DC office. This position will form part of Promundo’s communications team and will report to Nina Ford, Communications Officer.
Founded in Brazil in 1997, Promundo works to promote gender equality and create a world free from violence by engaging men and boys in partnership with women and girls. Promundo is a global consortium with members in the United States, Brazil, Portugal, and Democratic Republic of the Congo that collaborate to achieve this mission by conducting cutting-edge research that builds the knowledge base on masculinities and gender equality; developing, evaluating, and scaling up high-impact gender-transformative interventions and programs; and carrying out national and international campaigns and advocacy initiatives to prevent violence and promote gender justice. For more information, see: www.promundoglobal.org.
· Edit/proofread publications and review work of external editors
· Fact-check data, statistics, names, titles, dates, and other information
· Review work of external graphic designers, liaising with designers to implement changes and corrections
· Coordinate printing and shipping of reports and other communications materials
· Design/layout publications using Adobe Creative software as needed
· Research and select communications contractors as needed
· Support project, timeline, and budget planning as needed
· Other tasks as assigned
· Excellent English writing, editing, and proofreading skills
· Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
· Experience copyediting/proofreading
· Experience creating or reviewing publication layout
· Experience working with writers, editors, graphic designers, and/or print and mailing vendors
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to adhere to visual branding guidelines and editorial style guidelines (APA, Chicago, MLA, AP, and/or in-house style)
· Strong organization, self-management, and team work
· Hard worker and quick learner
· Experience in project management, budget management, and/or strategic communications
· Experience in consultant/vendor supervision
· Second language skills, especially Portuguese, Spanish, French, or Arabic
· Knowledge of gender, global health, international development, and/or social justice issues
· Flexible start date; mid-October 2018 preferred.
· Ability to commit to internship for 20 hours/week for two months, at least through mid-December 2018, with potential to extend.
To apply, please send a 1) resume, 2) cover letter addressed to Nina Ford, and 3) writing sample no later than Friday, September 12, 2018to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Publications and Editorial Internship" as the subject heading. Please indicate if you are legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a 1) resume, 2) cover letter addressed to Nina Ford, and 3) writing sample no later than Friday, October 12, 2018 to: email@example.com. Please write "Publications and Editorial Internship" as the subject heading. Please indicate if you are legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.