Hours per week
Min 5 hours a week
1501 Cherry Street
PHAN is seeking a Communications Intern to work with our Communications Director on developing and implementing communications strategies to advance PHAN's mission and policy agenda and to tell the story of people throughout Pennsylvania who rely on programs like Medicaid, Medicare, and the Affordable Care Act. The Intern will work on various communication projects that involve writing, online research, event planning, social media outreach, blogging, graphic design, press outreach, and the occasional administrative duties. Through the internship, the intern will learn more about the various communications strategies and tactics employed by a non-profit statewide healthcare advocacy organization and develop a portfolio of content in a range of formats.
- Support the development and production of materials including flyers, blog posts, press releases, infographics, and one-pagers.
- Help maintain database of reporter distribution lists and update contact information. Help to identify reporters to add to existing lists and help generate new media lists in order to advance organizational goals.
- Support the development of PHAN's monthly newsletter and other email communications.
- In collaboration with Communications Director, develop social media content and calendar, research social media accounts to follow and engage with, and create and monitor a new social media strategy given the recent changes to Facebook.
- Support the development of materials and communications to promote PHAN's annual health policy conference this fall.
- Provide support to PHAN's Communications Director in managing contact lists and improving the organization's email database.
- Other duties as assigned
- Passionate about healthcare issues & interested in learning about health policy
- Experience using social media
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to learn new technology
- Strong proofreading and editing skills
- Familiarity with or interest in graphic design is a plus.
Flexible work environment with some remote work possible. This is an unpaid internship but can be used for course credit.