Peace and Security Internship, World Federation of United Nations Associations
- Internship posted by World Federation of United Nations Associations
Hours per week
The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global non-profit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations. Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of approximately 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We work to build a better world by strengthening and improving the United Nations, through the engagement of people – global citizens - who share a global mindset and support international cooperation. Our organization has offices at the United Nations in both New York and Geneva, and hosts interns in both locations. www.wfuna.org.
With activities in the field of Peace and Security, Sustainable Development, Human Rights, Youth Engagement and Education, WFUNA has a presence in New York, Geneva, and Seoul.
WFUNA’s Peace and Security work relates to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and specifically Sustainable Development Goal 16, Peacebuilding, Peacekeeping, Youth, Peace and Security, Security Council Reform and Nuclear Security.
Position Description: Peace and Security INtern
The Peace and Security intern will assist WFUNA’s Peace and Security Senior Officer with the organization’s Peace and Security related work. The intern will have general WFUNA’s staff duties. This position is based in WFUNA’s New York office and applicants must have a valid US Visa.
The main responsibilities of this position include the following:
· Assist the Senior Peace and Security Officer in following relevant UN processes and events related to WFUNA’s Peace and Security work, in particular with regards to the 16+ Forum.
· Within the parameters of the 16+ Forum, support research on SDG 16+ implementation across contexts and contribute to 16+ Forum written materials, including concept notes, agendas and other documents.
· Attend meetings and liaise with civil society representatives, UN personnel, UN Missions and UN Associations as related to WFUNA’s Transparency at the UN Security Council Initiatives.
· Update and maintain contact databases and mailing lists on a regular basis.
· Participate in meetings of relevant civil society networks and working groups and report back on discussions, outcomes and action items.
· Support the Peace and Security Office in coordination of all work, including liaising with other WFUNA staff, partners and donors.
· Assist in the development of grant proposals, concept notes, and agendas, including liaising with other WFUNA staff and partners.
· Organizing meetings, conference calls, and events; taking notes and drafting summaries; and producing other project-related materials, including timelines and checklists.
· Maintain and update contact lists and (to be launched) Salesforce database.
· Assist in administrative duties, such as answering phones, printing/copying, and other data entry.
· Assist with communications and outreach activities, correspondence, website updates and social media.
· Access to UN Headquarters in New York, conferences, events and resources.
· Professional Development through in-office training and experience working on UN priority issues related to governance, prevention and UN Security Council reform, among others.
· Networking opportunities and ability to make contact with UN staff, diplomats, civil society members from around the world.
· This internship is unpaid, but a monthly MTA card will be provided.
· Undergraduate degree required, postgraduate degree or coursework towards a graduate-level degree preferred.
· Ability to self-start, prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and technical skills.
· Interest in international affairs, peacebuilding, governance and/or peacekeeping.
· Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language is a plus.
· Experience with Salesforce or database management is a plus.
· Experience with social media and website management is a plus.
· Preference will be given to candidates who possess prior experience/knowledge of UN activities related to Peace and Security.
To apply, please go to http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1192558/WFUNA-Internship-Application-Form-New-York-Office and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.
Due to high levels of interest, we will only respond to prospective e candidates. Please note we cannot respond to email or telephone requests about this position.
Due to visa restrictions, position will be given to applicants who possess a valid US visa.
How To Apply
Please complete the following application form: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1192558/WFUNA-Internship-Application-Form-New-York-Office