Hours per week
a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16 - July 26,
Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll have the opportunity to participate in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth and knowledge of Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions. These positions are located in our San Francisco, CA; Portland, OR; New York City, NY; Chicago, IL; or San Jose, CA offices.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January 16 - July 26, 2019 Internship Class
With two classes each year, Kiva hires part-time interns to support departments across the organization. When hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and reflect on your interests to best match you with a team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity for growth.
After reviewing applications, select candidates will be invited to a short phone screen with the Intern Program team. From there, candidates who are moved forward in the process are routed to specific positions for in-person interviews with hiring managers. More specific job descriptions will be shared at this point. For a general idea of what types of internships Kiva offers, please read below:
Program and Operations Interns:
- Work on multiple projects in a fast-paced, changing and entrepreneurial environment
- Communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
- Coordinate event logistics, including food orders, preparation of training materials, office space set-up, expense tracking, etc.
- Make and document process and infrastructure improvements to operations
- Play a key role in shaping messaging and engagement with Kiva's community of over 1.5 million lenders
- Create messaging to describe partners, promoting them to current and existing lenders
- Tailor social media content and ads to target specific audiences
Data and Analytics Interns:
- Collect and analyze data, including preparation of data collection tools for quantitative and qualitative analysis. Data can range from assessing business models and loan products to financial statements and Key Progress Indicators
- Lead research projects and communicate results
- Support operations within teams
- Must be 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2019
- Highly organized with an ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and tackle work that ranges from high level responsibilities to more administrative tasks
- Strong attention to detail
- Great team player; ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of people
- Strong communication skills
- Comfort with Web and Office applications
- Passionate about Kiva’s mission
- Experience using Knowledge Management Systems, such as Confluence
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Some positions may prefer:
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese
- Prior experience with business intelligence software tools
- Familiarity with large data sets and statistical techniques
- Proficiency in social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Experience creating and leading activities, lessons or trainings
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16 - July 26, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
How to Apply:
Visit www.kiva.org/work-with-us/internvolunteers to learn more about our program.
You can fill out an application here
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office